Mounting Transducer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Reaction score
My transducer has taken one too many licks running the jet drive in shallow water and now needs replacing. Anyone have any mounting options that might help keep me from having to replace it every two years?

If you're clipping rocks with it regularly and its still lasting 2 years I'd say you're doing pretty darn good & ask your secret!

Where one can mount even typically transom-mount transducers to shoot through solid substrate hull materials, like frp/glass boats & plastic kayaks, how about mounting it behind a sacrificial plastic piece of LDPE or HDPE or such super plastic?

Doubt spring loading it will do you any good - the pressure needed to fight to keep it in the water while on plane will be more than enough to stuff it into a rock & get it gouged up.

Does it work well enough at high speed? If NOT, then maybe a "raising device" might be called for. My depth finder is worthless when I get up on plane at top end speeds.

I run extreme shallows here in South Texas, but mostly at very slow speeds. My FF/Depth sounder tells me if I am in 10 inches of water, but, if I was running at speed...by the time it told me "too shallow" I'd be on the oyster reefs.

Best indicators around here are crab traps. If I can't see the top of them, then I have plenty of water. If the top mesh is just showing, then I still have 18 inches or so.....lots of water!

Watching for darker areas, which indicate oyster reefs, has saved my bottom more than once. If waves are breaking out in the middle of a body of water...whoops ... there's a reef there, too.

D5%%$$#b thing never showed me a fish that I caught, either. Ha Ha Seems they don't swim under my boat at two-foot depths. Can you imagine that?

richg99

It doesn't read at all any more. I only use it for depth, I can find my own fish. :) Most of the water here is stained to muddy. Depth finder helps me know when I can let off the throttle and when I have to keep the hammer down and when I have enough water for the hole shot.

Latest posts