Transducer for a jet jon?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt1972

Reaction score
Looking to install a DI/GPS combo. I have no brand loyalty so thats not a concern. What I am concerned about is tearing the transducer off so I really don't want a transom mount. I don't mind cutting a hole for a through hull but again I don't want to rip it out of the hull. Shoot through the hull is an option but I heard mixed reviews. Looking for input, and go......

From what I have read, thru-hull transducers don't work well with tin boats, only with glass boats. As long as you leave the adjustment bolt just loose enough that impact will allow the transducer to kick up, it shouldn't be a problem. I run a depth finder on my jet boat, and while I've slid across bottom several times and kicked the transducer up, it has never ripped loose.

If your jet jon has a plastic tunnel, you can use the in-hull glue-down transducer. But actually, by the time your meter reads shallow water, it is too late!

A pair of polarized sunglasses can help spot the shallows.

CedarRiverScooter said:
But actually, by the time your meter reads shallow water, it is too late!

Very true! That's the thing about a jet VS. an outboard. The outboard acts like a depth limiter, and will hit bottom long before the boat grounds out. With a jet, it's possible to keep going until you run out of water completely, and the boat comes to an abrupt stop (don't ask me how I know this, LOL)

Also, if you own a jet and an outboard like me, that jet will teach you bad habits, you will get used to being able to run areas with it, and then when you go to run that area with the outboard, you'll forget exactly where the deepest water is, and be aground before you know it (don't ask me how I know this, either :mrgreen: )

Polarized glasses definitely help with spotting those sandbars, shoals, oyster beds, lateral steps, and other underwater obstructions, for sure.

CedarRiverScooter said:
If your jet jon has a plastic tunnel, you can use the in-hull glue-down transducer. But actually, by the time your meter reads shallow water, it is too late!

Yup, glass tunnel. Not worried about grounding so much as I am worried about ripping it off on rocks. I duck hunt some bad areas with wave action.

Latest posts