Teleflex Steering Cable Removal - Need Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girevik

Reaction score
I have an old Teleflex SH5023 steering helm and I am trying to replace it. I already have the new helm. I can't seem to get the steering cable all the way out. I gets to a certain point and then it just gets stuck.

Since I going to trash this helm anyway, should I just completely dismantle it or is there a trick I am not aware of for getting this cable all the way out?

Teleflex SH5023.jpg

The fourth or fifth post down speaks to re-inserting the pin that you already removed to get the job done. Hope this helps richg99

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/general-boating-outdoors-activities/boat-topics-and-questions-not-engine-topics/131668-removing-steering-cable-from-helm

Unfortunately there is no pin. This is an older model that doesn't have the pin.

I called Seastar tech support. The guy wasn't very helpful.

I am going to try cleaning the end of the cable that was sticking out of the helm. It seems a bit gunked up. It should have had a cover/sleeve over it, but that was missing. The new helm came with one. If that doesn't work I am going to try unscrewing everything and hopefully I can get the cable out.

Latest posts