Tracker panfish 16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac19

Reaction score
I'm buying a late 90's model 16' tracker panfish from my wife's uncle for 1k. The boat has stick steering, is there a way you can move it to the back, or possibly put in a console or a tiller handle. I'm trying to give myself as much room as possible to build a casting deck. This is me downsizing by a lot, my last boat was a 07' skeeter zx225. Thanks

Just did a web search on the Panfish to see how it is set up. I would guess that yes it could be moved to the stern. How difficult it would be I'm not sure.

There should be a manufacture name on the stick and once you know that I would think you could get a shorter steering cable for it. Moving the throttle/shift control looks to be the hardest because of the way they have it mounted to the boat but even those cables should be available in a shorter length.

I think it all comes down to how much work and modification do you want to do to it.

Switching to a console or moving to the back should be straight forward. If you have space for the excess cable to make loops you can probably get away with your current cables, if only to test the positioning in the rear.

Swapping to a tiller is going to be trickier - availability of parts being the biggest stumbling block I can think of. Not all motors were made in a tiller configuration.

Sweet boat.

I would leave it alone and go out and fish. Use it for a season and if you still feel the need for a bigger deck sell for a profit and get a bass boat.

Depending on the motor that's mounted, moving your weight back may cause the boat to become ill handling, not get on plane, etc., due to the weight changes made.

What a shame it would be to change that boat. They are perfect for what they do with the stick steer up front. The only change I would make would be to add a jet, if it doesn't already have one.

Like another said, use what you have and sell it in two years for a profit and buy what you really want. By the way, what do you hope to gain by moving the steering to the back anyway? With stick steering up there you have the best of both worlds: clear vision of shallow water obstacles and the ability to fish from the front of the boat without moving. I guarantee you that moving to the back is not going to help performance in any meaningful way and besides it's just a little fishing boat.

Or...do what you want. But you did ask for opinions...

I didn't ask for opinions... Only asked if I could move/change the controls. I do not fish sitting down, therefore I'm trying to find a way to build a larger casting deck..

I only owned one boat that had stick steering. It was a skinny Gheenoe and I felt that I was trapped in the front at all times...sitting down.

I can appreciate your not liking that position if you are a stand and cast guy, as I am.

Can't imagine that moving the steering would be any more than physically moving the setup to near the stern; and buying shorter cables if looping doesn't work, as has already been suggested.

Sorry I don't know the specific answer for your question.

richg99

Latest posts