Dificulty of project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug O

Reaction score
I have been looking at the grizzly 1756 & 1860 jon boats. my son is having a fit about me selling the 1648 alumicraft. Not welded. It has a center seat that I hate. How difficult is it to remove the center seat and install an aluminum floor. :| :|

All you need is a sawzall, drill, & rivet gun.

I would leave an inch or so of the seat material & cap it off with something (even plywood would work). The seat adds rigidity, so you would need to add something in it's place.

All you need is a sawzall, drill, & rivet gun.

I would leave an inch or so of the seat material & cap it off with something (even plywood would work). The seat adds rigidity, so you would need to add something in it's place.

Can you post pictures?
If the boat has good sized ribs going up the sides removing the seat is not usually a problem, but adding some structure will help.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Can you post pictures?
If the boat has good sized ribs going up the sides removing the seat is not usually a problem, but adding some structure will help.

This.

I completely removed my middle bench by removing the solid rivets that attach it to the hull. My boat has ribs directly fore and aft and they go all the way up to just about the gunwale. If my boat did not have these ribs and relied more on the bench for structural integrity, I would have thought twice about removing it. No issues in over 2 years since I've removed the bench it terms of loss of structure. I did install an aluminum floor and extended my bow deck by about 18". I'm sure that helped, at least a bit.

Thanks guys. I will try and post pictures this weekend. Never did it before. Post pictures.

Latest posts