Quick! What is the best sealer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrauen

Reaction score
Just started construction on my deck and my floor. Wanting to get it sealed before it gets too cold up here to be using paints and adhesives . What's the best? Did a little research but everyone claims theirs is the best. Wanting to know what real people use. Thanks!

Generally the consensus is that encapsulating plywood in epoxy resin is the best method though it is also the most costly. Then once it is coated it still needs to be covered or painted because epoxy resin is not UV resistant.

Form there it goes all over the place. From paint to deck sealer, to varnish.

What I myself have been using for a number of years is a sealing treatment that is a mixed formula which consists of 1 part boiled linseed oil, 1 part spar urethane and 2 parts mineral spirits. This is applied liberally until it starts to pool and then removing the excess and brushing heavily on the edges and holes. After this is cured it can then be either painted or I use 3 coats of straight spar urethane.

As a test this summer I treated a plywood deck in a boat this way and then left it uncovered and out in the elements all season. The boat had the bow raised and the plug out so it wouldn't fill with water when it rained. I even used this boat during the summer under normal fishing conditions.

The results were that though the top coat was scuffed and dirty when I removed this piece of plywood I could detect no water damage to the plywood on either side or any of the edges.

Now when I reinstall this piece I will sand both sides and apply another coat of spar urethane then cover with carpet and not worry about it.

Others will have different solutions which is fine. This is just what I've found works for me at a reasonable cost.

Latest posts