Homemade aluminum mini pontoon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigkat650

Reaction score
So last spring a guy on Craigslist posted an all aluminum mini pontoon boat that he custom fabricated. After I did some modification to increase the buoyancy, it fishes pretty nice. Tracks nice through the water, and is really stable in calmer waters.

20150718_061030_zpstgy8b0ae.jpg

The deck is 8ft x 4ft, and the pontoons are 8inches wide x 14inches tall x 8ft long. They stick out making the total width about 62". He added a 12" center pontoon that's only 4ft long for added buoyancy. I added 6" of closed cell foam boards under the deck between the pontoons, and an aluminum 'nose' to help channel water and deflect/protect from waves and debris. It's now basically one of those bass buggy mini pontoon boats on steroids.

It's all aluminum (except the foam boards) and I think I want to keep it that way, I.e. no wood. I think I would like just some basic stuff to make it more functional... Storage, seating, rod holders. I want to keep it as basic and light as possible. I'm thinking of just using coolers. It's seating, storage, and I can figure out rod holders...and they are removable. But I'm looking for other suggestions.

What would you guys do with this blank slate?

Liking it dude! I have a pelican bass raider. These little things out fish the tins and glass all day. I've had some big 5 foot gar and 30 inch cat swim aside me and not flinch. You will have a great time fishing on that one. Gas motor on back trolling on front.
Caution: If you run into big waves turn sideways into the wave to ride over don't try going nose first...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Kismet said:
You know, that craft would look great with a 29lb 3hp Evinrude or Johnson outboard. :)

just sayin'.

I just got a 4.5hp mercury I'm trying to revive. Another Craigslist special. Although those rudes are a bit lighter, and a built on gas tank would be nice. I'll have to see where the mercury takes me.

Latest posts