broken trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmonger

Reaction score
I bought this 16' Lund about a year ago from a guy in Michigan. Nice boat, low hours and a good price but the cheap undersized freshwater trailer left a bit to be desired considering all my fishing is salt water. I figured if I washed it after every use it would last a couple of years ... not so. Broke on the ramp pulling it out of the water. Picking up my new EZ Loader next week. Some lumber, floor jack, jack stands and wooden blocks to get the old trailer out and the new one in.
This is my first post so I hope the pic is uploaded correctly.mms_picture 2.jpg

Welcome!
Yup, definitely a broken trailer, and just not a little bit! #-o
I would have to think there were some issues with the trailer prior to your launching it into saltwater, and that maybe the saltwater just helped speed up the process.
Be glad it broke at the ramp instead of while towing it.

Uh-oh. Better call Wesco.

(For those not familiar, that's Wesco trailer Mfg. located in WESt Columbia, SC)

Get a galvanized, or better yet, aluminum trailer to replace that one with. And while washing it after every use still won't stop the effects of saltwater, it will extend the life of the trailer.

Aluminum was a little bit more than I cared to spend. Went out to St. Helena and got a good price on galvanized with torsion bars !

Thank goodness that didn't happen while driving.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Good choice! =D>

Torsion axles are outstanding for saltwater use. Leaf springs and the connecting hardware are the first thing to rust out on a trailer, and usually the crevice corrosion between the leaf spring and the axle will also destroy the axle, making repairs that much more costly.

Latest posts