1983 Valco Bayrunner refirb

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpalump

Reaction score
I've got a boat I like but it needs extensive refurbishing.1983 16' Valco Bayrunner. Great running 1985 Johnson 60. It's still usable and we just did an epic 35 mile run up the Colorado River to the Hover Dam over Thanksgiving. So here is my sob story.

This is what it needs: Trailer bunks and trailer paint. The wood on all the seats with storage doors are basically all shot. The hull is decent but if I fix it I'll flip it and pound out and fill the little bit of hook in the bottom. Transom is fair but it looks like a major cutting and drilling Aluminum job so I'd leave it. The two padded seats would get replaced with a nice bench on those $100 Garlic rubber mounts or somthing like it. The expensive part is the trim on the engine is going bad. Parts unavailable and it need motor and pump. We have rocks and we beach it to let the dog run so it needs trim. Our Arizona water ways gets crowded and we run skinny water so call me crazy but I'd buy the $1750 trim/jack plate combo from Bobs Machine shop. I want it right and that would make me happy.
Edit: Changed thread name because I decided to keep the boat I really like.

So I'll be putting $2500 plus in a boat that not worth $2500 but it will be set up like I want it. Money is not a big issue and we could buy a better boat but I thought I'd ask you guys that have done restorations. If I move up it would be somthing like a 17-18 foot aluminum that would take the ruff wakes better. Should I be happy that I got a few great years out of this old dog and move on to a better toy or dump some coin and a lot of time into making the old boat awesome?

Edit: Here is the trim/jack plate I'm drooling over.
https://www.bobsmachine.com/Combo-Tilt-Jack-Clamp-on-or-BIA-50HP-100-106016.htm

The shock absorbing seat mounts https://www.garelick.com/Active-Seat-Suspension-Systems

I may have to settle on a seat like this but the one I saw looked thin. Do you know of a better two person bench seat that will take the wakes better? https://www.amazon.com/Wise-8WD1459-Blast-Off-Series-Folding/dp/B007R3QBTC

Well, it sounds to me that the seats are a non-item on your list.

You will probably buy those same seats for any new or newer boat that you buy. So..if you want them for this ...or for a newer boat, they aren't a factor in the money calculation differences. Just the way I looked at it, anyhow.

As far as parts not being available...have you checked the antique outboard motor site?? Those guys know everything about older outboards and no doubt have places to get parts that most of us wouldn't even think about. https://www.aomci.org/

I am kind of going through a similar exercise. My "new" Ha Ha 1996 Lowe has irreversible hull issues. The outboard; batteries; trailer; trolling motor; steering controls etc. are all just fine.

Trying to find a suitable (preferably new) hull has been a problem so far. Most quality manufacturers make what I want (1650SC) but no dealers stock them.

richg99

The problem with replacing your boat is that the "new to you boat" will usually need "tweaking" to your liking which equates to more dollars spent on top of the cost of the new used boat.

Question is, can you buy a $2500 replacement equal to what you'd have if you kept your boat with all the mods you've listed? If not, then I'd suggest doing the upgrades and enjoy it. :wink:

I'll try that antique site. Thanks. We ran Lake Saguaro in Arizona today. From the dam all the way up the Salt River to Canyon lake dam. I could never have done that with a bigger boat and would not dare too in a new boat. I've had 4 different 16 footers over the years. I just keep going back to them after fooling with others. That size does everthing. I'm going to fix it but I'll have to admit I was getting close to getting a quote on https://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/north-american-angler/phantom/182

Nice Smokercaft. Get the quote. Be sure to get the shipping/dealer prep/taxes/title/ etc. etc. etc. Amazing how much they get you for all of that stuff. Then fixing up your boat will look EVEN better.

I'm with you. A 16/17 foot boat is an all-around craft for me. Of course, I normally fish alone or with one other person. Launch and recovery is easy and there is enough space for my use.

I'm wavering between a new hull and adding my old but fine motor....or...a used boat, motor, and trailer. My wife is pushing me to buy the new hull and trailer and quit messing with someone else's troubles.

Seems I spend more time fixing stuff than I do fishing. regards, richg99

Depending on what you use for a tow vehicle getting much bigger than 16' can add weight and make towing safety an issue. Any boat I have needs to be light enough to be pulled with the family vehicle which is a Subaru (rated to 2400lbs) so I try to keep the boat/motor/trailer weight to < 1,200 lbs. or as close to it as I can hit.

That combination jack plate/trim unit looks awesome. I've been working on a similar design sourcing parts mainly from Grainger - I'm not a hydraulics engineer by any measure, so I'm curious how they control the two pumps independently with one motor.

CMC from what I've seen makes a tilt/trim unit and a separate jackplate, but not one that does both.

Boat is hanging from a chain and the trailer has been prepped for paint. I used redwood 2x6 for the bunks. I hope that was OK.

I'd imagine redwood would be ideal for the bunks.

I just bought a new trailer. The bunks are carpeted so I asked if they used treated lumber. They did NOT.

I think I am going to remove the carpet anyhow. Carpet and salt water are just going to hold the salt against the hull after every launch. I will probably put on home-made slicks ( Wal-mart plastic type cutting board cuttings) over the bare wood.

richg99

Stumpalump said:
I'll try that antique site. Thanks. We ran Lake Saguaro in Arizona today. From the dam all the way up the Salt River to Canyon lake dam. I could never have done that with a bigger boat and would not dare too in a new boat. I've had 4 different 16 footers over the years. I just keep going back to them after fooling with others. That size does everthing. I'm going to fix it but I'll have to admit I was getting close to getting a quote on https://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/north-american-angler/phantom/182
I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers a 16 footer around here. But with the rich guys on pleasant saguaro and Bartlett with their huge boats it does get sketchy sometimes. But that's why I have a bilge pump. Only took one wake over the top while trolling. Heh came 20 ft beside me at full speed

[/quote]
I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers a 16 footer around here. But with the rich guys on pleasant saguaro and Bartlett with their huge boats it does get sketchy sometimes. But that's why I have a bilge pump. Only took one wake over the top while trolling. Heh came 20 ft beside me at full speed[/quote]
I've lived all over the country and can say it was a real shock to move out west. You must go counter clockwise on the lakes. It can get so crowded it would be like being on a congested interstate. The wakeboard boats drive in circles all day and the adverage 16-18' pleasure boats had to get replaced by 22-28' boats just to navigate the wakes. Forget the weekends unless you are on the water at sun up and on the trailer by 10. Cold weather is great.
I'm applying the last coat of rustoleum on the trailer today. I welded up a few tiny cracks with a gusset, primered it, new lights, winch strap, greased it made a new handle for the winch and even took a sander to the rollers to buff them out like new. Yada yada another trailer... It is a good feeling to turn rusty junk into somthing that is better than you can buy new!
Has anybody built their decking or flooring out of nicer wood than plywood with Astro turf on it? They make nice wood boats so why can't I use some mahogany or something then coat it with epoxy varnish? Just an idea at this point but I don't want to reinvent the wheel and I'm not a wood worker. Also I need some deck hatches. I see plastic ones or I can try and make them but what's the best way to go?

I'm making new plywood seats. Typical flat row boat style seats. The boat sits uncovered in the Arizona sun. I kinda got used to the wood grain look (except for the splinters) and would like to keep it but would paint be better? Polyurethane?

richg99 said:
Spar varnish has been used in boat "Bright work" for hundreds of years.

Won't they be hard to sit on?

I'd be thinking of some kind of padding.
richg99
For the rear I'm still shopping for a padded bench but the front two are just flat wood with a throw cushion if needed. Is the home depo or lowes varnish what I want or do I need the long drive down to the marine store?

Like this? https://www.lowes.com/pd_740135-678-358150000_1z0uavg__?productId=999918602&pl=1

Spar Varnish...need not be purchased at a marine shop. It is commonly available.

Varnish takes some time to fully dry. Most folks go with spar polyurethane. The key is UV resistance, and maybe some hardening factor, as far as I know.

Best wishes.

Great thanks! I'll pick it up when I get foam boards. Pink, blue....Is one box store foam sheeting the best?

Latest posts