Cost of aluminum decking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I am looking at some new aluminum boats.

In one case, ( G3 dealer) they quoted me $600.00 to put aluminum decking into a 1652 hull. Sounded awfully high for a sheet of aluminum screwed down. I don't know what thickness we were talking about...but any help or input here would clarify things for me. thanks richg99

$230 for a 5x10 of .125" up in CT - $600 installed is the labor time to size it up & cut it to fit. ~ 4hrs @ $95/hr. Sounds like they're pricing it as an aftermarket change. Does that include having some sort of surfacing material/coating applied as well?

richg99 said:
Thanks. Is .125 a standard thickness for use as a deck in a small tinny? richg99

I would think that would depend on your rib spacing. I payed $80 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/8 diamond plate at an over stock store.
Im a sheetmetal worker by trade, and I'd say your better off going to a fab shop and have them cut it down to size there, they may only charge you for what you use, instead of paying for a full sheet.

If you've got the quote from the dealer you could just ask them for what thickness they were planning on using rather than guess around - G3's are supposed to be some of the best boats on the market from what I've heard, I'm sure their intended materials are proper.

Like riverrat717, I also bought my aluminum from an industrial salvage place in Fleetwood PA.
If you have any of them in your area, it may be to your benefit to check them out.
Because of the 54" bottom on mine, I also went with a 5'x10' sheet and trimmed it down.
I don't remember what I paid for it, but they sold it by the lb. and it was reasonable.
If you can, DIY; if not pay the piper!

Will weight be a factor? A 4' x 8' sheet of 0.125" (1/8") aluminum will weigh about 60 lbs. So depending on how much of the sheet you use and if you go any thicker, it can add up pretty fast.

Rich shouldn't be paying over $3 a pound

Rich on my G3's floor used a fiberglass sheet on top of 1-1/2'' foam cut to fit between the ribs with a front door entry mat on top,,, works great!!! very firm, quite,light, cool and fast inexpensive install,, very fast to remove and replace to hose out the boat,,, own a sheet metal shop and could have used anything I wanted for zip... but their is no way I would give any consideration using sheet alum.,,,,think n on a 1652 you have a 3* dead rise meaning you dont have a flat floor so if your using .125 you will have to have it broke/bent down the middle to fit tight to the ribs,,,, if your set on using alum you could use .050 with foam under it for stability,, have a old fisher jon and thats how it was done from the factory giving me the idea of using a fiberglass sheet

Attachments

• IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG