Quick questions for an easy,quick build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrauen

Reaction score
What thickness ply wood for decks and floors? 3/4 too thick? Should I lay foam under my for? How's Thompson water seal? How to get the most out of my evinrude 9.9 4 stroke? Ahh...any other helpful hints? Clever storage ideas? Or neat setups? I'd like to hear from you and see what you have. All advice is welcomed. Thanks!

bonz_d said:
What hull? How much do you want to spend? how handy are you?
16' flat bottom 55" bottom width. I'm on a budget but not cheap? Not trying to spend a ton but I do like nice stuff. I'm fairly handy, I know my way around trucks and motorcycles but new to boats

if you're trying to push it with a 9.9hp I'd avoid plywood & use FRP with foam behind it to save on weight.

If you do use plywood 1/2 inch is more than enough. I would paint it with a good quality enamel on both sides or better yet epoxy. If you can predrill the holes and paint them to that will help some too. Don't use pressure treated plywood, it will corrode the aluminum.

1655 just hit home - that's the same size boat as my friend's and he's got a 70hp on the back! Are you fishing HP restricted waters?

Zero hp restrictions. Yeah I jumped the gun and bought 3/4 ply...I plan on making the return trip and buying 1/2" for the tops of my casting decks and floor and maybe use thinner for boxing in the deck for storage

richg99, while I was still working maintenance in the food industry we used that stuff for wall covering in production areas for sanitation reasons. Works as a great water barrier and is chemical resistant. Most home improvement stores carry it.

If you have the budget for it aluminum would save weight and be just as strong just gotta spend a little more in the beginning. Might want look at some scrap yards might get lucky and find some cut off sheets you can use and generally get a pretty good price I got all my aluminum at the scrap yard and made out pretty good and in the end you have a better product that is lighter then wood and will not rot

I think I'll wait on aluminum, I'm not opposed to it at all. I'm really interested in that fiber glass sheeting. I think I'll make my decks out of wood this time. I'll fish it through this coming season then I'll make a decision if this is a boat I'm going to hold on to or maybe move up a level in boats...my boat has a front deck on it already made of aluminum. The only problem I have with it is there's no storage. Any ideas on how I could add storage areas without destroying the deck? I don't really want one big storage area, I would like multiple compartments. There's no way to remove it is welded to the hull.

Latest posts