Lund deck replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmonger

Reaction score
I fish saltwater exclusively with a 2001 Lund 16' and am not a big fan of a carpeted deck as it accumulates so much of the normal crap along with varying amounts of pluff mud. To get the deck clean it requires the use of the pressure washer. Thinking about replacing the deck with fresh wood and painting it so as to be able to just rinse the deck off. Aluminum decking is not practical as that would turn into a frying pan here in S.C. I have not pulled it apart yet but would use the same dimension ply (probably 5/8-3/4).My question is what would be the best plywood to use (bc vs. marine) and sealer that could be painted over ?

fishmonger I've done 3 boats recently, a 14' Lund S24 DLX, a Sea Nymph Pike Attacker that I'm still working on and an Alumacraft Classic 16 that has been started and is waiting for me to finish the Pike.

I have found that ACX sanded one side works very well as I have it for all 3. I would recommend using the same dimension as was original. My Lund had 5/8". For sealing it I use a formula I learned on another site and works exceptionally. It's one part boiled linseed oil, one part spar urethane and two parts mineral spirits. After it's cured it can be coated in more straight spar or it can be painted over.

Old woodworking tip...."whatever you do to one side of a board, do the same to the other"

Keeps warping down to a minimum. If you seal the top, seal the underside, too.

richg99

Latest posts