Here we go again :-(

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Chris

Reaction score
Sorry to pop in after such a long break, with all bad news....

Actually, it's not all bad; I did just get a brand new tow truck, an F150, which I have been customizing for about 3 weeks now... Just about to get it all together. Will post post pics when its finished.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it's been 3 months since I had my boat on the water, or even casted a line, for that matter (probably the longest I've "ever" been without fishing... aside from my first 2 1/2 years :)

So today, I decided to go fire it up, just to let it run for a while, and charge the starting battery up some. It started on the first bump of the ignition, and it ran great. No missing whatsoever.
But then, right before I was going to turn it off, I noticed water coming out from the upper cowling.... Took off the canopy, and SOB ! My freaking water jacket gasket is blown "AGAIN" ! The last time that happened, they ordered the wrong one the first time. Next it was their Christmas break..... Then, when they finally installed it, the motor started running totally crappy, apparently from the intake having sucked in so much spraying water, for so long, it screwed up the carberator. So then they had to replace that ! All under warranty of course, but the whole ordeal took like 10 weeks (out of prime Sturgeon fishing time :-(

So anyway, I'm not really a superstitious guy or anything, but if ever their were such a thing as a bad omen, how bad is it that I will have to use my brand spanking new truck, to pull my boat, the very first time it will ever tow it, to the shop, instead of on a fishing trip ??? :-(

URRRRRGGGGG !!!!!

Why in the hell does that gasket keep blowing ? If it happens again, I'm going to seriously start thinking about a warped head or something....

And the scary part is, my warranty will be up in less than a year ! My auto mechanic could probably replace that gasket.... But I sure can't afford to be replacing any more screwed up carberators !

Your thoughts ?

Thank you,
Fish Chris

Well you probably don't care about my opinion too much but if that was my truck and it was new and having that many problems.......................I'd tell them to do some swappin' out with another one.(Ford of course) anytime something happens with head gaskets and involves water in the motor,regardless if it's the intake or not sometimes it leads to more trouble down the road!When it's NOT under warranty!!!!
What motor is it anyway?

SG, it's the water jacket gasket on my 25hp Yamaha outboard that is blown... again.
The truck is perfect ! (It better be, for $23K to Ford, another $3K to the state of CA, and probably $4K in mods ! Actually though, the original base price on the truck itself was $31K... So I'm not complaining about $8K off.... Great time to buy a new tow truck BTW)

Again, having that water jacket gasket replaced should be easy (albeit, a pain in the butt to drag it down there, then go back to pick it up) I'm just starting to get concerned that their might be a bigger problem with the motor, which is causing it to fail in the first place.....

Hmmmm,
Fish

I'm no mechanic, but I would think if the same thing keeps happening, there is a reason for it. If it were me I would pose the question to the dealer you got it form that; 'since this has happened twice now, who pays to fix it the third time when it's no longer under warranty?' What happens next is dependent upon his response. I'd also make sure to keep your receipts and paperwork proving these problems.. Other than this problem, how do you like the motor (I'm in the market for a 25hp 4 strker)?

On another note, what part of Cali are you from? I just moved to the LA area (work) from Minnesota a little over a year ago. So far really only fished Casitas, but then sold the big glass boat and now I'm modding a flat bottom.

Anyway good luck with the Yami.

Crank'in

OOps!!
Man i sure feel like an idiot.I guess i read it too fast or maybe just the fact iv'e pulled two twelve hr.shifts the past two days and only slept about 61/2 hrs.
Anyway.......hope you get it all figured out and congrats on everything...... 8)

You need to contact Yama directly - not through any dealer. Gert someone there who has the power to do something - then ***** up a storm at that person. Fax or mail all the documents from the last repair - and get some thing in writing (or at least a service number) to have that warranty extended for those parts!

I went through the same thing with Mercury after the lower unit went for the third time (twice on the port engine and once on the starboard) Mercury admitted that there "might" be a factory defect and agreed to extend the warranty for that problem.

It is a good sign - I caught more fish and felt better after I bitched out the Mercury people :mrgreen:

Now, keep in mind, I have no experience with dealers or warranties, as most of my motors were made before the term warranty existed.... :D

But, I would use this as a reason to NOT use that dealer again. Contact Yamaha, and see what they can do. After the warranty period is up, I would NEVER go back to that dealer again, as they don't need to make money servicing a motor after having acted this way. Until then, cane needs to be raised with every route possible, as the clock is ticking as far as the warranty goes. Also, if you can't get anything done through Yammy, I would pay the money to take it to a different Yammy certified dealer or repair shop to get an estimate, and a detailed list of the problems. You need to know what is going on, and use that to combat the Yammy dealer.

Here's the thing..... I didn't get my boat from "any dealer". I bought it directly from the G3 HQ, through a sponsorship deal.

I tried to call Yamaha directly, this morning, during the little time I have.... not thinking about the 3 hour time difference, and the fact that they take a hour and 15 minute lunch !
So, I'll try earlier tomorrow morning.

But yes, I'm going to push for an "extended warranty" on this specific problem.... and to be quite honest, with all of the water scum, and corrosion (on certain parts here and there... I'm actually more concerned about wiring connections and such, which are not visible to the naked eye) I'm really concerned about the rest of the motor, as well.

Hey Crank'n, other than these problems, it been a really nice motor. Quiet. Great fuel economy. Starts with just a bump of the ignition, even when ice cold. However.......

Guess we'll see,
Fish