FOUL WEATHER GEAR

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick_W

Reaction score
Looking to get some info on good, WATERPROOF, foul weather gear.

Specifically parka and bibs, but I won't discount overpants and waist-length jackets.

And speaking from experience on Naval vessels, very few things are worse than being cold & wet with no way to dry off and get warm for several more hours.

The only stores that I have relatively close are Bass Pro Shops, West Marine, Dick's, Academy, and Field & Stream.

I want good, quality gear. Cost is always a factor, but I believe in "buy once - cry once".

Gore-tex may be the gold standard but I'm sure there is other material that breathes while being waterproof.

Right now I have some Frogg Toggs and they are ok for light duty - but the waterproof inner liner can rip fairly easily.

Rick you can find alternatives to Gortex but it's not worth it. I have a Gortex rain coat that I scored used in the 80's. It's still good. I also picked up a Gortex shooting jacket from Remington when they held an outdoor flea market at a plant in the 90's. I used that coat for years racing sailboats. The work was tuff and the decks and rigging are ruff. You can't kill it. My bibs were Mustang survival. I'd search Mustang for sure. Again, high end Gortex that has endured for decades. Buy it once and for life the weather will never be an issue. No such thing as bad weather just bad gear. My Mustank bibs still look and work as new. Gortex is a DuPont product. That says it all.
The trick is finding it on clearance. Hit the sailing websites and marine supply. Gill and others make some good sail racing stuff and as long as you don't mind last years color then go for it. Camo colors? .... Expect to get ripped off. Boots are another thing. Muck boots. Buy them once and have them for life. I don't know why they grip the best or don't crack after years but they don't. You can't kill them. Even if you invest some crazy list price amount of money you make it up with 20 years of bliss in the rain. How many days will that add to your quality of life?

Interesting post by Stumpalump! I would never have thought to look for this type of gear from places he mentioned.
His post made me think; what do the guys wear that race in the Americus Cup, I'm sure they wear "good" stuff.
Look at Mauri sailing gear, you did say "GOOD"!
Also----hard to beat Gortex!

I wear nothing but gore tex based on 1st hand experience when I rode my motorcycle from East TN down to Daytona FL for two solid days in the rain, not one bit of dry road for the 600 miles. :( None of my clothes were the least bit damp or wet, I just rinsed and dried the rain suit in the motel machines when I got there and all was good. I still have the rain suit and where it fishing on occasion now. Pant leg has a muffler burn but does not leak either.

BPS has their 100mph stuff which is good, and another line that is a bit less expensive, but all good. Some people like the Guidewear stuff at Cabelas but I don't have any 1st hand experience with it. I've bought a $100 gore tex jacket and $100 gore tex pants from BPS on sale and it keeps me dry just like the $400 + stuff does. Just make sure it says gore tex and you're good to go.

TNtroller said:
I wear nothing but gore tex based on 1st hand experience when I rode my motorcycle from East TN down to Daytona FL for two solid days in the rain, not one bit of dry road for the 600 miles. :( None of my clothes were the least bit damp or wet, I just rinsed and dried the rain suit in the motel machines when I got there and all was good.
I started riding motorcycles (really riding, my own that is) in 2002.

I tried to make all different kinds of gear work when I first started. Snowmobile gear, hunting gear, cheap gear.

With very few exceptions, I've determined gear designed for one sport doesn't work very well/very long when used in another.

I have in excess of 100k miles on four different motorcycles since 2007. Many rides from Norfolk, VA to Natchez, MS (1,100 miles one-way). My rides became so much more comfortable (and safer) after I started using motorcycle specific gear - which currently includes the use of Gore-tex almost year round.

The only experience I have with fishing gear/equipment is Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's. I also have no experience with duck hunting gear. In the Navy, I swear all we ever had was rubber rainsuits - if they didn't leak and get you soaked from the outside, you got soaked from your own sweat.

I don't have a bike anymore (too many left laners and texters imo) but got a ballistic nylon riding jacket/pants from Riders Warehouse I think, still have it, it has gore tex lining as well. Stayed dry in it as well, excellent suit, etc. My nickname with riding buddies was "rain man", so what does that tell you. :LOL2: I now wear the pants at times during cold weather fishing trips as the pants are overpant style and work just like any other gore tex garment. DRY.

Hard to beat a good set of Grundens!

In the surf I use StormR products - might be a bit warm for you southern folks

I also have been pleased with Aftco bibs - nice a dry and even have pockets

Captain Ahab said:
Hard to beat a good set of Grundens!

In the surf I use StormR products - might be a bit warm for you southern folks

I also have been pleased with Aftco bibs - nice a dry and even have pockets
Thanks for the recommendations.

Currently 73°F, forecast high is 76°F today and tomorrow - with rain and near 100% humidity.

I definitely see at least two sets of gear in my future.

I have 3 different sets I use depending on the temperature mostly.
Frogg Toggs the thin "Paper Like " ones $20. I got from some local bikers that had extras and use these or none in the summer rains while fishing. Most of the time I'm in shorts and t shirt and I'll just throw a big billed hat on and keep on casting though.

Frogg Togg toadz firebelly Bibs from the Ranger boats store ($69 at the time -gift from wife and kids ) that I use but depending on the weather I will add warmer clothes under it as needed
Bass Pro 100mph (Bought used $100-no liner) goretex I use this coat without the liner and like the bibs I change what I wear under it to keep warm.

I'd recommend the FT toadz firebelly and the 100mph suit from BPS. With the 100mph coat I wish I had the liner so recommend getting that.
I have never gotten wet inside either of those even in pouring rain. But staying warm has been a struggle without the liner for the coat.
I also recommend black it makes a world of difference on a 30 degree morning when the sun starts coming up !!
I've wanted to try the cabelas guidewear but haven't pulled the trigger yet , hear good things though.

Here's what i've been using for about 5 years now.
https://www.lavacoreinternational.com/lavacore-long-sleeve-shirt-male/
https://www.lavacoreinternational.com/lavacore-pants-unisex/
https://www.lavacoreinternational.com/lavacore-socks/

i initially bought for jet skiing and m/c riding, but i find i also can wear under street clothes and stay very dry/toasty in comfort. The socks aren't as comfortable as i'd like, but that may be because of my error on sizing/being unfamiliar of how they run (big/small).
I am am tightwad and for me the price was a big gamble, but i am totally pleased with the build quality, comfort, and the material keeps me VERY dry and warm even after submersion. Not bashing, but i was not impressed at all with frogg toggs.
I never even heard of this company and just happened to stumble across them. They do not seem to advertise much and i only found one place in orlando that could order them..it was a scuba shop.

the Elite line is their top shelf stuff.....

Latest posts