Towee or other options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2flyfish4

Reaction score
So first post on the forum.

I have been looking for a rig that will primarily be used on local tailwaters for fishing. These rivers can easily be run with a prop when they are releasing water. When they cut the flows they get pretty skinny, with fairly long runs of skinny water between holes. Generally speaking I fish by myself 60 percent of the time, the rest of the time with a buddy. Loads are generally light as i'm a minimalist by nature and don't care to carry a bunch of extra gear. Speed is not a huge concern with me, I'm more concerned in a boat that will plane quickly and will be happy if i can run in the high teens.

I've been looking at the Towee as they are light and sill big enough to handle the water i fish along with fish comfortably with a second person. Depending on the hull they weight in from 225 lbs to close to 300 lbs. they seem to get good reviews, are stable and are designed and hull laid out for my type of fishing. My only real concern is they are a fiberglass hull and I've always run aluminum. I'm still trying to get an answer from the manufacturer on what motor i can hang on the transom, by youtube searches and google images it looks like a lot of guys are running 30/20 jets.

I've also been looking at light weight riveted aluminum hulls like a Lowe 16x48. the hull weighs in at under 300lbs and i use to own this hull with a 25hp prop. it worked great for the lakes and was very happy with it. If i get this hull or hull similar to this i will be putting a 40/30 or 35/25 jet on it for the river. My only concern is the .72 hull will hold up to some hits during super shallow running through shoals. and any idea what kind of performance i could expect.

Last option is just going heavy and more power. something like a 16x60 seaark with a jet tunnel (will most likely add pods as well) powered by a 60/40 jet. This rig will give me some speed, a lot better load carrying capacity, will probably get up on step the quickest of the 3 options and the hull will hold up to pretty much any punishment i can throw at it. Only problem is if i shoal it i'm screwed and at times i launch from shallow sand/gravel bars and will have to man handle the boat on/off the trailer. shouldn't be to bad as i always put slicks on the bunkers.

these rivers don't have much traffic on them, most guys run airboats, then props but only when they are releasing water and a few are out there in jet boats. and surface drives are becoming popular.

let me know what yalls thoughts are.

here are some videos of the water i run.
[youtube]/zkFEn92t8is[/youtube]

[youtube]/fdw7fAevU30[/youtube]

[youtube]/I195Y1_Xl6A[/youtube]

I've seen one Towee but not up close as the guy was loading up when I started talking and looking at it and he was wanting to leave, so. Looked like a nice boat. I've got some experience with Gheenoe's, a FG flats boat designed and built in FL. I had a 13'r, been in a Classic and a Low Tide (LT) center console for a few hours each. Several guys here in TN use their 'noe's on the Stone's river near Nashville, and on some local lakes as well.

Just google Gheenoe (pronounced G nue) or their owners forum website customgheenoe.com. Lots of utube videos as well. The Classic or LT would be much suitable for your application IMO as the 13 is not really suited for 2 people IMO, unless you get a NMZ model or at least remove the center bench.

I used mine on several different TVA lakes here in E TN w/o issue, just have to watch for wake board boats and gawkers as 'noes are NOT the least bit common around here. LOL

Latest posts