How long does carpet last?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdwa_78

Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting carpet on the floor of my boat. Wondering how long it has been lasting for most of y'all that are using it? I'm kinda thinking I might just seal it up real good and leave it bare.

It depends. That's totally dependent on the quality of the carpet and how the boat is stored. I have BPS carpet and garage my boat. Mines in good shape after 5 full seasons.

If you track in mud, I would leave it hard surface so it is easy to clean.

Maybe bed liner to give it traction?

I had a '04 Tracker PT175 I bought new and got rid of last Nov '14, and the carpet was in very good shape, but I fish solo and it was stored inside while I owned it. It depends on how you use it, how you store it, and quality of carpet, and the install.

I'm thinking about getting some of the bass pro shop carpet. It's fairly cheap but good reviews

I put the Cabela's 14oz carpet into a Lund 6 years ago. Has held up well and still looks great. It's also less expensive than the BP Shop offering.

gillhunter said:
It depends. That's totally dependent on the quality of the carpet and how the boat is stored. I have BPS carpet and garage my boat. Mines in good shape after 5 full seasons.

Agreed, all depends on the quality of the carpet, how you maintain the boat.
I remodeled my '67 6 or so years ago now and the carpet is holding up great. I always cover the boat when stored outside, and its stored outside almost all the time. In the winter I put a tarp over the cover too. When the carpet gets full of mud I hose her off and let it bake in the sun until dry. I boat camp at least several times a year. Load the boat up with my camping gear and motor to my campsite. Set up camp and enjoy my weekend.

I got my marine grade carpet from Menards. They have the best prices and great quality marine carpet.

Hanr3 said:
I got my marine grade carpet from Menards. They have the best prices and great quality marine carpet.
Good! The marine carpet from Menards is what I installed this past fall. Hope it lasts.

long enough to soak up the slime from pickeral/pike and bake it in the sun till the stench can be noticed from two zip codes away

I went ahead and ordered the Defender vinyl boat flooring. Should be here in a couple of days. Obviously, I cannot give you any history of how long it will last for years and years.

From what I have read, it is a good alternative to carpet. We shall see.

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2276179|2276198|2276202&id=23772

richg99

That's cool Rick. I bet you like it. Post up how thick it is and how easy it is to work with. I have a hard time straying from stupid simple Home Depot carpet but how dumb is carpet in a boat?

To my knowledge there are NO salt water bay or flats boats with carpet. Guess the salt spray was the final straw for boat owners.

I like the feel of carpet, but...function over form.

richg99

Well I decided to just paint and add texture. Thanks though. I appreciate it

richg99 said:
I went ahead and ordered the Defender vinyl boat flooring. Should be here in a couple of days. Obviously, I cannot give you any history of how long it will last for years and years.
Like Rich alluded to, I rarely see tin boats that are carpeted when expressly used in salt waters. The carpet will hold salt next to the aluminum and corrosion will occur. Not if - but when - as it will happen.

Marine Vinyl Life - Attached below is the picture of the 1997 rig I purchased from someone at my boat club that is located seaside on a saltwater estuary. This skiff was out on a mooring - fully exposed with no mooring cover - from May to Oct each year, less the 2015 season (when I rebuilt her for 'other' reasons than the vinyl floor). So that's 18-years so far!

Less a little dulling of the coloring and a small tear here or there, it only shows normal wear & tear. In fact, it really brightened up well with a good wetting, cleaning w/ Simple Green, a stiff-bristled scrub brush and a power-wash washdown.

After 18-years just good has it held up? So well that I'm not going to replace it ... now, or for the next few seasons. As I have no reason to ...

I don't think one would get 18-years out of carpet ...

Attachments

• Transom Repair56 Launch6.JPG
    Transom Repair56 Launch6.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 381
Fishfreek I'm not sure what kind of texture I will use. Probably whatever lowes sells. I think they have a sand like additive

DaleH,
Agree that vinyl is a great way to go and if done properly looks good too. Normally a bit more expensive than carpet but well worth the expense in durability.

Unfortunately the Admiral likes carpet under her bare feet and as we are nowhere near salt she gets here way. Keeping the Admiral happy keeps my hobby going.

Latest posts