Be careful of openings in your deck....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Thought I'd give you guys a laugh and share one of my mistakes last summer.

I fished in a couple of local lake tournaments. First year for me to ever do that.
On one occasion, we had boated 3 small bass, and were on our way to our five for the day. When number four came into the boat, I opened my home-made livewell, and the smallest bass jumped out. He hit the deck and slid towards the stern of my 1648 Lowe tinny.

I'd noticed before that this boat had a one-inch opening right at the junction of the stern seat and the floor decking. Never thought much about it, though. Sure enough, the skinny d#$@ bass slipped right into that slot. There was NO WAY to get that piscatorial problem out easily.

As it turned out, we finished the tournament with only four fish. We missed fifth place by about one lb., just about what our slippery finny friend would have weighted. We had a good laugh about it.

But, the next day, I decided that I'd best get the fish out, before she stunk up the boat and the boat yard. I didn't know that I would have to drill out rivets to remove the stern seat; dig out some foam; all to take the visitor out. It was a lot more difficult and time-consuming than I thought it would be.

So.....watch out for any openings in the decks.

richg99

I have had to dive a couple times after a bluegill or minnow to keep them from falling to the back of my boat and below the deck back by the bilge pump. I bought the boat used in 2012, it is a 1989 so I imagine there are plenty of worms and whatnot in the bilge already.
Tim

My brothers and I once dropped a slimey eel into the bilge of my Father's lobstah boat (err, that 's a 'lobster' boat for you Southerners ;) ) that was all 'prettied up' as a day/picnic boat. It slid under the motor. We thought it was best not to tell him ...

... not such a good idea in retrospect ... :shock:

I lost a fishing partner in a crack once.

Well..that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :mrgreen:

You guys make me laugh.