Anyone own a Lowe L1648 Aura?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
Purely from what I see online, I really like the Lowe L1648M Aura. It is the riveted model with no center seat and has the factory flooring covering the ribs. I was hoping someone here owned this model or knew someone who did and could give me a rundown of how they like it. It seems all of the local dealers around me don't carry them and would have to order one so I can't really see one in person.

I have been comparing it to the Alumacraft MV1648 NCS Sierra which is an almost identical layout. Primary differences are that the Lowe has more of a flatbottom than a true mod-V, the floor seems flatter in the Lowe, and it has a different color (all of which I prefer). My local dealer has the Alumacraft in stock so I plan on checking it out in person soon.

Here are some pictures I saved from off of their website.
2016-boat-overhead_83419.png
2016-boat-gallery_83644.jpg
2016-boat-gallery_83643.jpg

I have the alumacraft, love it,floor is as flat as it could be while still draining water to the back. The color is your standard OD Green. I do not have that secondary platform in the front of the bow, although I do like that. Doesn't seem to be other differences besides that though. What's the cost difference? Alumacraft is out of Arkansas so the further south you are the cheaper they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catch Release Repeat said:
I have the alumacraft, love it,floor is as flat as it could be while still draining water to the back. The color is your standard OD Green. I do not have that secondary platform in the front of the bow, although I do like that. Doesn't seem to be other differences besides that though. What's the cost difference? Alumacraft is out of Arkansas so the further south you are the cheaper they are.

I haven't gotten too deep into the cost aspect yet as I still have some saving to do. But so far I was quoted $2100 or $2200 by just word of mouth from a Cabelas boat center employee and $2800 from a smaller local dealer. Local dealer immediately said he would match the $2200 if I provided him a quote and said additionally their doc fee is $199 and tax is 3% (even though I thought boats were taxed regularly not at a lower rate like cars). The Cabelas guy didn't tell me what additional fees they had or the tax rate there. I haven't really looked at the Alumacraft yet but I think I was initially quoted for around $2100 for their version of the boat a while back.

I am in Alabama by the way.

Catch Release Repeat said:

Could you take a closer look at the ModV of this boat compared to yours? To me it seems like the Lowe has flatter front and is really more flatbottom than modv which I would prefer due to stability and having slightly more room up front on the deck.

Below are a couple more pictures I found. The first is shows another view of the design of the bow of the Lowe.

The flooring view is from the Alumacraft. It was where I was referencing not thinking it had a completely flat floor.

Thumb.aspx.jpg
1-6-2016 9-06-20 AM.png

Yeah the picture does make it looks like it has a pretty drastic slope to it, but it's not half as bad as it looks you don't notice the pitch of it at all when on it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452100380.405117.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1452100404.935556.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452100434.415832.jpg

Best pics I could find if the deck. I believe you may actually have more deck and easier to mount a trolling motor in the alumacraft but if your installing a hatch the Lowe looks like that could be a perfect spot. I will agree at a glance the gunnel on the Lowe looks deeper then alumacraft but i can't tell you that. Mines away for the winter because I'm in New York but Fish Freak on here has the same model he may be able to get you a true measurement to compare it to.

Cabelas will charge you another couple hundred in fees guaranteed.

Thanks a ton! It's strange how actual real life photos paint a product differently than the advertised ones. I actually like the way your Alumacraft looks from your own photos of=ver the ones they use on their website.

As far as the price goes, I'm sure I will just end up going with whatever is cheaper. Both boats have almost identical capacities, weight, and hp rating. All I can afford is a hull right now too. I have a super old 35hp I plan on mounting on it and the trailer from the boat the 35hp was on. It was an old 14' fiberglass tri-hull which was waterlogged and beyond repair. I'm hoping I can make one of these boats temporarily sit on that trailer well enough. After getting the hull I plan on saving for a new Tohatsu 9.8hp to fish 2 nearby hp restricted lakes. If the trailer doesn't work well enough I will either save for a new one or try to find a cheap one on Craigslist.

35 will move that boat 30 mph if it runs well. My Yamaha 25 four stroke pushes it 30-31 according to Gps with the pin all the way up. Scary fast in a good chop.

Back when we last used the motor it would push that tri-hull at around 30 if I remember correctly, and that's with it all waterlogged. There is no doubt in my mind that hull was at least 2 1/2 times the weight of these 1648 hulls. I never knew the rpm's but just guessing if it's prop were repitched up a few inches it would probably do a little more. But....speed isn't much of a concern I have another bigger aluminum bass boat for big water. When I get the 9.8 horse I will probably rarely swap out the 35hp, if not just end up selling it. Those hp restricted lakes are only about 1,000 acres and the only other areas I would use it would be backwater areas that don't require much driving time.

I gotta say though, that motor has sat a really long time. I'm a pretty good 2-stroke home mechanic but I have yet to give a good look over. My luck it may have overheated the last time it was ran and caused some damage. My first order of business before really committing to the new hull is getting this motor totally serviced and running in a barrel.

I run a 9.9 Honda on my Alumacraft 1648, that I run on 10 hp restricted lakes. Does fine.

gillhunter said:
I run a 9.9 Honda on my Alumacraft 1648, that I run on 10 hp restricted lakes. Does fine.

Good to hear! Really as long as it planes well I will be happy.

I run a 20hp Honda 4 stroke on my Aluma craft 1648 NCS and. With 2 people I am getting 22 mph. You don't even notice the small amount of slope in the main floor.

Here's a picture of mine with the new paint on the topside.

20151229_125551-1.jpg

Fishfreek said:
I run a 20hp Honda 4 stroke on my Aluma craft 1648 NCS and. With 2 people I am getting 22 mph. You don't even notice the small amount of slope in the main floor.

Here's a picture of mine with the new paint on the topside.

Very cool rig with the grab bar! I also like the paint. I don't necessarily dislike the Alumacraft olive drab color but I kind of prefer the color of the Lowe I originally posted which this seems to resemble more. Either way I would like to hydro turf it at some point after getting it so color isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I have been browsing the web a little today and found this Alumacraft dealer from the dealer locator on Alumacraft's website... https://www.mitchellmarine.com/systems/?LNav=jon. They seem to have very good prices based on my so far limited research. The MV1648 is listed right at $2k. Of course freight and tax can stack onto that pretty quick but it seems like a good starting number.

Something to look at and consider if you are planning to run any wiring for gps, fishfinder or lights. The Alumacraft has NO chasese or channels other than down the length of the boat up the side. Ask how I know...... I am in the process of running wiring to the tiller console. I am using some unique processes to make that happen. Not sure what the Lowe has but even the drain on this thing has wood plugs or something under each rib.

Thanks for the heads up. This will be a fishing rig so I would for sure want to run power from back to front for a TM, FF, and nav lights at a minimum. My closest dealer has one in stock so I plan on going to look at it Saturday so I will make sure to check that out and ask them about how they would do it.

I've thought about drilling a hole in the rail a top the gunnel and fishing wire to the bow, don't see why I couldn't. Somone in YouTube said they could get it fished to where the sides point to the bow, which would be far enough for everything besides nav lights. And idk why he couldn't get further.

That is a good point and probably gets overlooked. You could probably use conduit or pvc just under the gunnel on the inside of the boat and attach it with p-clamps and paint it to match. A clean look is all I would desire. I prefer against running a wire loom down the sides behind the ribs.

Latest posts