Bow Deck Hole Fix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Was removing the 4 mounts on my bow deck for my HID driving lights last night and one of the rivnuts ended up slipping and I could not get the bolt out. After a lot of prying, cursing, hammering and a beer or two I finally got it out. Ended up wallowing out the rivnut mounting hole pretty badly. At this point, it's pretty much cosmetic but I'd also like to get the hole sealed up to keep water out. There is factory wood under that portion of my deck that I'd rather not get water logged and rotted. I fixed a few previous holes on my bow when I first got the boat with some JB-Weld. Work very good and was unnoticeable after done. This hole seems a little big for JB-Weld though. How would you guys fix it?

Here is the mess I created last night......
IMG_20160107_192722_zpsfneiep9j.jpg

And here is what I had previously done to my bow deck. The PO had some sort of steel mount for a TM. I removed that and the "handles" and filled each hole with JB-Weld. Sanded smooth and primered afterwards.

Before
IMAG0524.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

I can't really tell what size the hole is from your picture. Can you re-take the shot with a dime or something in the picture for size reference?

Certainly not my area of expertise, but I don't see any reason why JB Weld or any other epoxy like product couldn't be carefully layered on. If the hole is as big as you described, then trying to do it in one shot probably wouldn't be right.

Might take a tube or two. There is a proper time for when one layer of epoxy can be applied over another. I think it is when the first layer is tacky, but read the instructions on the tube or Google it.

If there is wood below it, it should support the weight of the JB Weld, and keep it from just falling through in the future.

If you are afraid that the JB Weld is just going to spread out inside of the hole , then cut up a plastic bag and jam pieces of it under the metal in all directions, making a "well" for your epoxy.

Hope this helps.

regards, richg99

Thanks. That all makes sense. I would guess the hole is about 1/2" in diameter. Much bigger than the screw holes I previously fixed. That is why I was questioning how well something like JB-Weld would work.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Could put a small patch over it and paint it.

Nylon hole plug, maybe.

What would you patch it with? A little piece of sheet or something?

I also have access to a MIG welder. But I'd imagine it would burn right through the thin aluminum on the deck or catch the wood on fire :shock:

BigTerp said:
RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Could put a small patch over it and paint it.

Nylon hole plug, maybe.

What would you patch it with? A little piece of sheet or something?

I also have access to a MIG welder. But I'd imagine it would burn right through the thin aluminum on the deck or catch the wood on fire :shock:

Yea...little piece of sheet. Just a few tacks to hold it down. Probably could just jb weld it down as long as there's not a lot of flex right there.

I've used JB weld in combination with a piece of aluminum sheet to repair holes like that before. Turned out just fine.

I've "built up" the circumference of a hole in one of the boats I cleaned up. Took my time, reducing the size of the hole with JB Weld, letting it cure, cleaning it up and putting the next layer on until the hole was filled. Sanded it down and worked fine. This was below the water line, so constant water pressure was on it, but had no effect.

Best wishes.

What about giving one of those aluminum brazing rods a try? There are some vids on youtube where they are used to fix holes. If there is a harbor freight local I've seen they stock a flux free version there.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html

If there is wood below you could make a wood core to fit the hole. paint it with some adhesive and tap it into position. After it gets where you want you could finish off with a coating of your choice (jb weld, spackle, whatever), then paint.
That way you would have backing to the repair and not just an open, covered hole.

SumDumGuy said:
If there is wood below you could make a wood core to fit the hole. paint it with some adhesive and tap it into position. After it gets where you want you could finish off with a coating of your choice (jb weld, spackle, whatever), then paint.
That way you would have backing to the repair and not just an open, covered hole.

Good idea. Thanks.

Latest posts