Am I over thinking this? duplicate post sorry

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldude

Reaction score
I have read hundreds of topics on the boat, trailer, motor, electrical forums. The more I read the more confused I get. For example I was looking at the bottom of my boat last night and I saw this patch. I thought all I need to do is clean out the silicon and put 3m5200 to fix the seam. Then I read more about the 5200 it causes corrosion on bare aluminum. It's an adhesive more so than a sealant etc. I haven't had a boat since the early 80's and that was a brand new Buck Perry spoon pluggers boat that I drove out to Butler PA to get along with a new trailer and 20hp merc tiller. There is so much info on this site, but I just need to learn how to sort it out.

My trailer is a ez loader roller style and I'm wondering if that is what caused the problem on the boat.
Seam_zpseaxdim2n.jpg

The patch is about where the front roller is on the rear of the trailer.
198520Lund_zpse1qcqiki.jpg

Thank you all for the posts, pics and info that is on tinboats

Wow new trailer and motor! 5200 works great. I suspect others have put it on leaky corroding rivits and blamed continued corrosion on the 5200. Can sombody clarify if 5200 corrodes aluminium?? They call these rigs a boat, motor and trailer. You have trailer and motor in top shape so I'd do the best repair on that nice hull. Local aluminum welder. Welding shops always blow me away with how cheap they are. The cleaner and easier it is to get to the spot the faster and cheaper they can do it. Check every 1/4 inch of that boat for cracks or holes and let them do it all. How long is the actual perforation and much of the gouge is too deep for comphort?

motor is a '84 and I don't know what yr the trailer is. I'm in the process of getting a non titled/registered trailer from WI titled in Illinois.

I don't know about the perforation/gouge or if there even is one. I have to get the motor off (another post I'll put in the motor section) take the floor out to see the inside. To cold here now for me to be working on it. I was hoping to just fish it this year and get some ideas of mods I would like to have.

oldude said:
motor is a '84 and I don't know what yr the trailer is. I'm in the process of getting a non titled/registered trailer from WI titled in Illinois.

I don't know about the perforation/gouge or if there even is one. I have to get the motor off (another post I'll put in the motor section) take the floor out to see the inside. To cold here now for me to be working on it. I was hoping to just fish it this year and get some ideas of mods I would like to have.
Hi Oldude, welcome to Tinboats.
Your boat looks familiar, did you get it in the Algonquin, Lake in the Hills area?
A few more pictures not so close up would help. I think welding is going to be the correct fix. Don't forget to stop drill the ends of the crack.

Johnny it was your post that I75 saw concerning 5200 and corrosion.
lckstckn2smknbrls I got the boat in wisconsin. I am thinking welding would be the best fix for that area. I have no welding skills so I'll have to find a shop to do it. I also intend to convert the trailer over to wooden bunks instead of the rollers. I've got a lot to learn but if some other dummy can do it then this dummy can do it too.
Thanks for the welcome