portable trolling motor bracket

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pymybob

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used one of these? Thinking of making one of these out of wood for my trolling motor. My transom is very tight and something like this could solve my problem. Curious to hear if anyone has any experience with one of these.

https://www.basspro.com/Jon-Boat-Trolling-Motor-Bracket-for-Bow-or-Stern/product/37359/?URL=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.basspro.com%2FJon-Boat-Trolling-Motor-Bracket-for-Bow-or-Stern%2Fproduct%2F37359%2F&hvarAID=vantage

Using thicker wood and finding a away to secure both it and the motor to the boat to minimize losing it to the drink, this could be a fantastic solution.

Never used one, but, if you have the handle on your boat, it sure looks like it would do the job well. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

I'd think that adding little chain and padlock to keep your TM from disappearing into the drink would be a good addition. That way, you could leave it in a parking lot while you had lunch, too.

richg99

I would have a tendency to avoid items with 29 reviews and only a 2 out of 5 star over all rating ... just my 2 centavos. <0(((><

Yeah, I would be building this myself. I think I may have found a simple way to attach it to both the motor and boat as well. I'll just have to give it a go and if it seems to work, I'll post my success! LOL!!!!!

I made one like that for my 1542 used a scrap piece of 1x4 and a 2x4 cross piece to sit on top of the transom I think I had to narrow the 1x4 a little to fit into the handle I have been using it for about 2 years with a 40 lb Minn Kota

The final version is forthcoming but I want to try this on the water a few times to ensure everything works as intended. I think it came out well! Thoughts?

Oh, there is very little "slop" in it right now but I have not water tested it. Running the motor itself seems to be very stable. Why no slop?...I made my own angled shims which buttoned up everything real tight when placed within the handle! Genius! LOL!

Looks awesome man!!!

I've also contemplated doing this w/ my v-hull, as it narrows at the stern and getting in two motors is a bit tight.

My only suggestion would be to drill some shallow holes for the TM screws to sink in a bit.

ICAR....Good suggestion about wallowing out a depression for the trolling motor clamp screws.

Looks great. I knew that a custom made one, that fits just your boat, would be better than a "fits-all" version.

Keep us posted. richg99

I'll definitely add some shallow holes for the clamp screws. That is a GREAT idea. !

Once I get it on the water and do some testing, I'll make the final one. Just need a couple coats of polyurethane as well as to secure the mount to the boat with some cable to ensure the bracket and motor don't go overboard! Appreciate your input!

Finally got around to taking final pics with the suggestions given in earlier posts. Here are shots with the recessed holes for the clamps and the mount secured to the boat with cables.

The next time I'm out, I'll take some video. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Latest posts