tm battery relocation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmonger

Reaction score
To keep my deck as uncluttered as possible I am moving my 27 series deep cycle trolling motor battery forward but the motor is a transom mount. I know a bow mount would make this very simple but I find them in the way on a smaller boat and prefer them on the transom. It's a Minn Kota 55T, 12 volt and from the battery to the plug, yet to be installed, is about 12 feet. Anyone have an idea as to the size wire needed ? <0(((><

I recommend #6. That's what I used and have had no problems. You can see how I did it in the link by my signature.

Found this on the minkota sight. Look at the conductor gauge chart link
Gillhunter is right . 12' falls between 6&4 gauge

www.minnkotamotors.com/Battery-Selection-Rigging/

gillhunter said:
I recommend #6. That's what I used and have had no problems. You can see how I did it in the link by my signature.

Thank you ... I like your boat and you do nice work !

I too have my motor and battery located at opposite ends of the boat. For convenience sake in taking my Terrora (55lb) on/off the boat I used a plug set up I bought from Cabelas. Looking at these set ups, their wires are usually 8 gauge at best, sometimes 10 gauge. That's not good right?

1lhorn said:
I too have my motor and battery located at opposite ends of the boat. For convenience sake in taking my Terrora (55lb) on/off the boat I used a plug set up I bought from Cabelas. Looking at these set ups, their wires are usually 8 gauge at best, sometimes 10 gauge. That's not good right?

Listening to some of the folks here that are very knowledgeable and looking at the Minn Kota chart I think 8 or 10 may be too light with a battery and motor at opposite ends. For my boat I'm going with at least 6 gauge (maybe 4) and installing an inline breaker. Every install is not the same but with wiring I think ... more is better.

Here is a definitive chart you can use to select the correct battery cable size for your needs.
Always remember that it is the total length of battery cable not just the positive or the negative cable length! <--This is important!!
Always err on the larger size. This chart is good for anything run on 12V DC.

Latest posts