Kayak Recommendation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Reaction score
All,
Looking for recommendations on a kayak. Right now I'm thinking I want a sit on top, but not 100% sure. I need to be able to stand up in/on in for sure. If you can't stand comfortably for long hours in it, I can't use it.

I've been looking at the Old Town Predator line. If anyone has a model that they think I should take a look at please post it. I'm not a kayak expert so I'm relatively unfamiliar with all the models out there.

Thanks,

I used to kayak back in my younger days. Always a sit-in and not a sit-on.

If you want to stand in a kayak then you'd better find the widest one you can and hope you have strong ankles and athletic balance. None out there that I know of that were made to stand in.

I know there used to be a couple of kayak forums out there may want to look for one of those and ask there.

If I was to buy one and had the money........HAD THE MONEY, I would buy the Cadillac of Kayaks, the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14.

I was at a show just last weekend and a buddy of mine showed me this. Wow, this company thought of almost everything. Only issue? $3300 Ouch!

https://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-14/

Jim said:
If I was to buy one and had the money........HAD THE MONEY, I would buy the Cadillac of Kayaks, the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14.

I was at a show just last weekend and a buddy of mine showed me this. Wow, this company thought of almost everything. Only issue? $3300 Ouch!

https://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-14/

I looked at those Hobies. The Mirage Drive thing is cool. I think they might be out of my price range...hell...the Old Town Predator is $1200 and I think that's out of my price range. But, I don't want to spend $500 on a kayak that I can't halfway use.

I have a Wilderness System Ride 115, and they make a Ride 135, check 'em out, lots of videos about 'em and you can stand up in both versions. I have stood up in mine but I don't make a habit of it as I troll more that anything else. Very stable, easy to paddle, good weight capacity, not too hard to load in a PU bed at 70-80#, rides good in a short bed PU with no issues, have the slide trax or something along that line for mounting rod holders/ff's, etc., easy to install and adjust.

I have my 2013 ride 115 FS if interested after you google 'em. PM me if interested.

Take a look at the Native Versa. It's a kayak/SUP hybrid great for standing and sitting. Website has a great video fishing from it.

I have a Wilderness Systems Ride 115, Commander 140 and Tarpon 120.

All three are great kayaks but they are also very different.

For a given width, a longer kayak will be faster and track straighter, a shorter kayak more maneuverable.

A wider kayak will tend to be more stable, but hull shape also plays a part in this.

My first question is what do you want to do with the kayak?

Rick_W said:
I have a Wilderness Systems Ride 115, Commander 140 and Tarpon 120.

All three are great kayaks but they are also very different.

For a given width, a longer kayak will be faster and track straighter, a shorter kayak more maneuverable.

A wider kayak will tend to be more stable, but hull shape also plays a part in this.

My first question is what do you want to do with the kayak?

Thanks to everyone that has chimed in so far. I have been checking out all recommendations.

Will float mostly small rivers. Occasionaly flat/slack water like small lakes. On occasion navigate a river with class 1 rapids and two class 2 rapids. Fish from it. When I float, I bowfish usually so I will need to be able to stand up for a long time. I will also take the yak with me noodling catfishing.

My brother ended up getting a Hobie with the MirageDrive for a song and a dance and he loves it. I don't think he can stand up in it but he says the propulsion system works like a charm. Have you thought about a paddle board? I see them standing up on them all the time.

Latest posts