Tying Off To Piling

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Reaction score
Watched a guy struggle to tie his boat off to a dock with no cleats, just pilings. Man....I reckon wrappng the line around the piling 20 times will hold it...better give it one more wrap. HAHA.

This is how I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukcKvt9XqME

[youtube]ukcKvt9XqME[/youtube]

If you can't tie a knot, maybe you shouldn't be on a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott85 said:
If you can't tie a knot, maybe you shouldn't be on a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can tie a knot sometimes I can't untie them.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I can tie a knot sometimes I can't untie them.

Indeed, that's one of the qualities of a well-tied knot or bend.

Learn a bowline and a clove hitch, and you're pretty well set up.

The Marina I work at (half days....its good to be retired) is on a lake. Our dock is down a well shaded canal. Free from tide and free from wind.
You absolutely would not believe the darn knots I see when folks tie up their boats to our dock. The record for a rope around a piling so far is 15.....a combination of wraps, half hitches and knots! "Gee Vern.....Ya' think that'll hold 'er?"

But.....it you want to go see something REALLY funny. Go over to the Coast of Florida or somewhere that has Ocean or Gulf access and watch the shenanigans of people putting boats in the water or taking them out! The bigger the boats the better the show is.
It was a busy Sunday morning in Sarasota Bay. All the flashy offshore wannabe racers used this ramp to launch. I was staying across the street at what was then the Sarasota Hyatt. Was there for a dealer meeting for Johnson or Evinrude and the day was a free day before the dealers arrived. Walked across the street and sat on a bench to watch the shenanigans. Didn't have long to wait.
I watched a family put an offshore performance boat with three V-6 Mercs in the water. Man (with a "Mister T" starter kit of gold chains) had to stop before the hull hit the water and let his family completely unload out of the dually, load the boat with coolers, bags, etc. (on the busy ramp) and the kids had to get in the boat. Boats and trucks are starting to stack up. Mr. Gold Chains gets back into the dually, finally negotiates the boat into the water, and promptly ties the boat to the dock .... effectively shutting down access to that ramp, leaves, and parks his truck. Folks are getting wayyyy wound up now. Longer line of trucks and boats. He gets back to the boat and hoisted his butt and his gold chains into the boat, turns on all his battery switches after getting the kids up and off that seat he had to raise to get to the switches, stows some gear, has some "words" with his wife, and proudly returns to the stand-up bolstered driving station. Things get interesting at this point. Turns the first key on......nothing. Second key........nothing.......third key.........nothing. He furiously moved the shifters, he looks at the keys, he turns around and looks at the still tilted engines. He goes back and gets the kids off the seat again to verify the switches are all on or switches them to "all". Tries the keys again.....Every darn battery in the boat was door nail dead!! This of course meant that all the preceding procedures had to be reversed, this time without the advantage of outboard engine power AND he had to butt in line with his truck and trailer to do it!! Two completely different emotions were now in full swing. "Ramp Rage" was in full swing, and others were loudly laughing their butts off well within earshot of him....... and the only thing I was missing, while sitting on that bench, was a bag of popcorn.
Sorry to hijack the thread but watching "Credit Card Captains" and their boats can be very entertaining at times and the knots on pilings reminded me of it.

Pappy said:
The Marina I work at (half days....its good to be retired) is on a lake. Our dock is down a well shaded canal. Free from tide and free from wind.
You absolutely would not believe the darn knots I see when folks tie up their boats to our dock. The record for a rope around a piling so far is 15.....a combination of wraps, half hitches and knots! "Gee Vern.....Ya' think that'll hold 'er?"

But.....it you want to go see something REALLY funny. Go over to the Coast of Florida or somewhere that has Ocean or Gulf access and watch the shenanigans of people putting boats in the water or taking them out! The bigger the boats the better the show is.
It was a busy Sunday morning in Sarasota Bay. All the flashy offshore wannabe racers used this ramp to launch. I was staying across the street at what was then the Sarasota Hyatt. Was there for a dealer meeting for Johnson or Evinrude and the day was a free day before the dealers arrived. Walked across the street and sat on a bench to watch the shenanigans. Didn't have long to wait.
I watched a family put an offshore performance boat with three V-6 Mercs in the water. Man (with a "Mister T" starter kit of gold chains) had to stop before the hull hit the water and let his family completely unload out of the dually, load the boat with coolers, bags, etc. (on the busy ramp) and the kids had to get in the boat. Boats and trucks are starting to stack up. Mr. Gold Chains gets back into the dually, finally negotiates the boat into the water, and promptly ties the boat to the dock .... effectively shutting down access to that ramp, leaves, and parks his truck. Folks are getting wayyyy wound up now. Longer line of trucks and boats. He gets back to the boat and hoisted his butt and his gold chains into the boat, turns on all his battery switches after getting the kids up and off that seat he had to raise to get to the switches, stows some gear, has some "words" with his wife, and proudly returns to the stand-up bolstered driving station. Things get interesting at this point. Turns the first key on......nothing. Second key........nothing.......third key.........nothing. He furiously moved the shifters, he looks at the keys, he turns around and looks at the still tilted engines. He goes back and gets the kids off the seat again to verify the switches are all on or switches them to "all". Tries the keys again.....Every darn battery in the boat was door nail dead!! This of course meant that all the preceding procedures had to be reversed, this time without the advantage of outboard engine power AND he had to butt in line with his truck and trailer to do it!! Two completely different emotions were now in full swing. "Ramp Rage" was in full swing, and others were loudly laughing their butts off well within earshot of him....... and the only thing I was missing, while sitting on that bench, was a bag of popcorn.
Sorry to hijack the thread but watching "Credit Card Captains" and their boats can be very entertaining at times and the knots on pilings reminded me of it.

The dummies at the local State Park ramp are bad enough..can't imagine what $300,000 boat googans must be like.

I don't know what the knot is called but I've been doing it for decades (since I was a small kid fishing with my dad or uncle)...I put two loops in the rope side by side, stack the first one on top of the second one, and flip it over the post. Takes 4-5 seconds.

-CN- said:
I don't know what the knot is called but I've been doing it for decades (since I was a small kid fishing with my dad or uncle)...I put two loops in the rope side by side, stack the first one on top of the second one, and flip it over the post. Takes 4-5 seconds.

I think that's two half hitches? I've seen people use that too.

Pappy said:
But.....it you want to go see something REALLY funny . . .watch the shenanigans of people putting boats in the water or taking them out!Sorry to hijack the thread but watching "Credit Card Captains" and their boats can be very entertaining at times and the knots on pilings reminded me of it.

Sorry to perpetuate the threadjack, but this reminded me of a visit to Texas. My uncle had place on gulf coast. Saturday evening, the std entertainment is to watch the drunk fisherguys trying to load there boats. Was hilarious. Not sure why police haven't picked up on this.

I believe this video shows a superior knot to any I've seen suggested in this thread for hitching a line to pilings. I use the cow hitch a lot in tree rigging. It's also call a Stilson hitch, a cow hitch with a better half and probably a few other names. Knots are a hobby but I also use rope daily doing tree work catching loads over houses and other valuable property.

Here's a great book on knots: https://www.amazon.com/The-Ashley-Book-Knots-Clifford/dp/0385040253

The cow hitch cinches up tight when loaded yet can easily be untied. You do not have to have access to the top of the piling.....for instance it could be tied to a telephone pole, etc. I guess I don't know how to embed a Youtube video. Here is the link:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DskoBcGK5Vw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DskoBcGK5Vw[/youtube]

[youtube]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DskoBcGK5Vw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Latest posts