My new duck/catfish project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bull68

Reaction score
Hey guys long time Lurker first time poster,

I've been addicted to boats ever since I bought my first one when I turned 18 (1973 Glastron Bayflite) since then (6 years) I've had a number of boats and a few changes in interest I've just picked up an older Mon Ark Jon I want to fix up for fishing cruising and hunting (in a club in RVA that hunts 2 islands for all game not just fowl) I selected this boat for its layout it is 17ft long (title says 16) and it is right around 6ft wide with a high nose, boat motor and trailer ran me $1800. Motor needs to be replaced and that I'm fine with. A few questions though

-It looks like the previous owner cut the transom to accommodate a short shaft motor, as those are hard to find used I was thinking of cutting a piece of diamond plate and riveting to fill the gap since the motor mainly rests on the wooden transom anyways

-Currently it is set up as a tiller which is great for the rare occasions I pull it into the blind but I'm tempted to put in a console as most of the used motors already have remote control

-and does anyone have any ideas as far as interior layout? Ad I said I will mainly use this to transport hunters and fisherman to the island but I will occasionally be cruising around with some friends I rarely hunt from it?

I will post more pictures when I can but its kinda hard with a foot of snow on the ground!

First 2 pics are when I got it I painted over the bad camo job the third is the cut for the motor

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 852
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 852
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 852
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 852
Looks like that transom is in some need of TLC.....:) Good luck with your restore and keep the pics coming please.

Never knew that Glastron built tin boats,,, had a old glass Glastron once,,,,,,looks like a nice high sided boat for catfish n,,,,JMO boats like that in my experience would be to just use them and hold off dumping a bunch of time and money into them,,, buy things that you can transfer over and use on the next boat hoping it to be the last boat,,, when it comes to pole holders try and get something that clamps on instead of drilling more hole in the boat the next guy wont like,,, have some clamp on mounts for my difftmasters that I use on my little jon and work fairly good,,, start putting a bunch of $$$ into decks n electrics for light n such you'll never make it back when ya sell it next year cuz it wasn't the right boat,,,, jmo

My old boat was a 16' Mon Ark. They used to be made in Monticello Arkansas and since I lived in Arkansas I thought it was a dandy! Your best bet is to replace the entire transom to do it "right" but at least you have the option to run short and long. What is the old engine?