Aluminum floor thickness reccomendations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daschmetterling

Reaction score
We are going to use aluminum for our decking and wanted to get some reccomendations for thickness. The floor will go over 1 1/4" × 1/8" aluminum angle framing set 12" on center. I was leaning toward using 1/8" aluminum sheet. Would 0.090 be enough? I like the cost of 0.090 more than 1/8"! Here is a picture of the framing- it isn't complete, we are going to add two vertical supports to each "joist".
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1453771731821.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1453771731821.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,906
Thanks CedarRiverScooter, I like that answer! Any thinner or would 0.090 be your reccomendation?

Go with .90 and be done. It's thin and light and you have plenty of bracing. It may flex some between the bracing but will be there for the long haul.

AllOutdoors said:
Go with .90 and be done. It's thin and light and you have plenty of bracing. It may flex some between the bracing but will be there for the long haul.
Thanks AllOutdoors!

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
.090 will flex between the joists. Might feel a little mushy.
RiverBottomOutdoors- thanks for the reply, unfortunately that is what I was afraid of. I definitely don't want to do the floor twice. Maybe 1/8" is the way to go.
Hmmm, now we have conflicting recommendations.
Keep the comments coming- has anyone used 0.090 and regretted it?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

If your going to cover it with carpet the small dings you get with .090 won't show. If it's going to be painted and worked real hard the 1/8 will look nicer. I like light weight and cringe when I see the heavy wood decks and flooring used here. I'd go .090 then paint it or vinyl it and live with a few dingers. I built a section of wood floor yesterday. 3/8" is all I ever used in 40 years and I remind people not to jump or come down hard on the floor. Never have had a problem and the flex on a hard wake hit is nicer on your body, boat and gear.

Stumpalump said:
If your going to cover it with carpet the small dings you get with .090 won't show. If it's going to be painted and worked real hard the 1/8 will look nicer. I like light weight and cringe when I see the heavy wood decks and flooring used here. I'd go .090 then paint it or vinyl it and live with a few dingers. I built a section of wood floor yesterday. 3/8" is all I ever used in 40 years and I remind people not to jump or come down hard on the floor. Never have had a problem and the flex on a hard wake hit is nicer on your body, boat and gear.
Thanks Stumpalump! I am not worried about dings and cosmetic issues, I am mainly concerned about flexing and "soft" feel.
These comments and feedback are great- thanks everyone, keep the opinions coming!

If you rivet it to each joist that will take some of the flex out of it. Rivets about 6 to 8 inches apart. Take everyone's opinions into consideration. We're all making educated guesses, but they are guesses nonetheless. Sometimes you don't know how it's going to turn out until it's done.

I used .090 on a previous boat to skin a deck and floor. I basing my guess on that experience. Good luck. Keep us posted. I like the wood free builds.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
If you rivet it to each joist that will take some of the flex out of it. Rivets about 6 to 8 inches apart. Take everyone's opinions into consideration. We're all making educated guesses, but they are guesses nonetheless. Sometimes you don't know how it's going to turn out until it's done.

I used .090 on a previous boat to skin a deck and floor. I basing my guess on that experience. Good luck. Keep us posted. I like the wood free builds.
These are great comments! I appreciate everyone's ideas, and I like that they are coming from experience.
Yes, I like the idea of wood free, too. We are trying to build something simple, durable, easy to clean, low maintinence, and hopefully not too expensive!
Thanks again

Have you thought about putting some aluminum angle running front to rear of the boat tying all the joist together and giving support to the floor in between the joist. Are you going to put foam under the floor?

Yes, we have thought about that, but haven't decided yet. Once we get the vertical supports in, we can check stability. Tying all those joists together woild definitly stiffen it up, good point. Maybe doing that and then using 0.090 would be enough?
We are planning on using pour foam and leaving an open channel in the middle for drainage and to run pvc conduit.

Doesn't the floor sheet tie the tops of the joists together? Maybe just tie the ends of the floor to something solid.

Any foam going under the floor? That can take some spring out of it too.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Doesn't the floor sheet tie the tops of the joists together? Maybe just tie the ends of the floor to something solid.

Good point about the floor tying the joists together. Yes, we will be pouring in foam.
Thanks again!

daschmetterling said:
CedarRiverScooter said:

Good point about the floor tying the joists together. Yes, we will be pouring in foam.
Thanks again!

I was thinking the aluminum angle in between each joist will keep the aluminum floor from sagging between the joist.

Latest posts