How do i remove unwanted paint from hull.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jy951

Reaction score
I purchased a 1448 Jon boat with the factory paint. The sellers kids painted some white blotches all over one side. The paint is rather hard to remove. It barely comes off when scraping with my fingernail. What's the best way to remove the paint without damaging the green paint underneath it? Thanks.

You can use liquid paint stripper but you will have to work fast so it only takes the white paint off and doesn't remove the green paint. Check the reviews of different paint strippers and get the one that works the worst, probably one that's environmentally friendly.

Might be easier to just sand it down to bare metal & start over. Use self etching primer. They sell jon boat green paint at wally's.

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm really not wanting to repaint it. What about just scrubbing with a abrasive pad?

if repainting is not in the future,

start with the MILD approach with chemicals and elbow grease.
working your way up the ladder to the more aggressive.

PHOTOS could help give you more accurate information.
also, what is the base paint of the boat and what do you think
the kids sprayed on it ??

I would try some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper first . . . .
then, if all the paint does happen to come off, buff it out.

some sign painters will use Easy Off oven cleaner to remove
freshly painted lettering from vehicles. Of course, you run
the inherent risk of ruining the base paint .......

a mild citrus based remover may be good for the first step.

read, understand and follow the manufacturer's instructions
on all products you may use.

come back and let us know what worked for you

This is what I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• 0127161856.jpg
    0127161856.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 782
Like it was mentioned before you could try a mild remover. Is it latex paint? I had used a product called Krud Kutter (comes in a gallon at Home Depot for under $15). I used it as an adhesive remover when we pulled up stick on linoleum tiles in our kitchen. It advertises that it removes dried latex paint as well - and what's left over can be used as a general cleaning solution. You could soak it with the krud kutter and hopefully soften the white paint enough to scrub it off without affecting the paint underneath. It's pretty mild and environmentally friendly so it seems to fit into everyone's criteria that's already posted.

A quick google search shows that it's actually a Rustoleum produce. Here's a link to it at the Depot.

32 OZ spray for $6.50
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kutter-32-oz-Original-Concentrate-Cleaner-Degreaser-KK3212/203396788

1 gallon for $14
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kutter-1-gal-Original-Concentrated-Cleaner-Degreaser-KK012/202525368

I appreciate all the ideas. I did make some progress. I started with things I had laying Around. First I tried some brake cleaner. This worked ok, but was a little messy shooting out of the Aerosol can. Next I tried Goo Gone. This didn't work at all. Next I tried acetone. This is what I used for most of it. I wetted the boat down and applied it to a wet cloth and rubbed little areas at a time, then wiped and rinsed often. The light stuff came off easy. There is still a fair amount remaining, but it's much better than before.

Attachments

• 0129161948.jpg
    0129161948.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 738
Years ago someone spray painted white graffiti on my son's girlfriends dark green car. I used either automotive polishing or rubbing compound (can't remember which) and got all the unwanted paint off. I do remember it took a lot of elbow grease ... good luck !

fishmonger said:
Years ago someone spray painted white graffiti on my son's girlfriends dark green car. I used either automotive polishing or rubbing compound (can't remember which) and got all the unwanted paint off. I do remember it took a lot of elbow grease ... good luck !

Had this happen also and surprisingly MR. Magic Clean white sponge wiped it right off without any problem. For anyone in the future that has the same thing happen to them.

Latest posts