What color should I paint my boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
I should be getting my Weldbilt back from the factory in a few weeks, so I'm starting to plan out what needs to be done to get it back in tip-top shape to sell. One thing I'd like to do is paint it. The factory Weldbilt paint leaves a lot to be desired. Right now I'm torn between Parker's Hunter Green, and Bay Gray. I think they Bay Gray would look awesome with the white accessories on the boat, but I also think the Hunter Green would be more appealing to the duck hunters who may want to buy the boat. I'm not super picky about color, just looking for opinions on which color would net more resale value.

I suggest Duralux Duck Boat Drab @ $38 a gallon from Home Depot , Check out my build and you can see what it looks like. Cheapest route if your just going to sell it anyways and is an earth tone base for camo also

That's what I'm thinking Fishfreek. Either bay gray with a light gray interior, or hunter green with light beige interior.

I am loving the tan on mine. I did a lot of color testing before choosing wiith an infrared temp sensor. The first week of November 2015 was pretty warm here in Florida. The O D green was as high as 143° on the front and rear decks. After 11 shades of green, tan and gray I decided on a color called Sanora Sand. It was as much as 41° cooler than the O D green. It has a very very slight hint of red in it but really only noticeable under florescent lights.

20160128_140105-1.jpg

Since you're selling it, look at what sells the best in your area. Maybe more OD boats sell better, or red, or whatever. Out here, if it's any shade of camo, it sells faster than solid colors do. When I had my Grumman 1542, I tried selling it with flat brown fresh paint on it. Lot of offers, most of them lower than I was willing to take. Found out that a local fireman paints boats on his off days, so I called him and had him do mine in Advantage camo. Charged me $140. I put it on CL and the very next day a guy shows up with cash and bought it with no haggle, and I made my $140 back-and then some.

Heres what my boat looks like with Parkers Hunter Green. It was about 7 light coats, sprayed with a paint-gun from Wagner. I sanded in between coats, but you really dont need to. Parker's runs very thin and can be thinned out with paint thinner to about 5-10%. It shoots real good and is DEAD FLAT!!!

Take a look on my build (link in the sig, around page 6 or 7) to see how I did mine. The paint is holding up real well so far, but I haven't used it on the water yet. I hear its really durable and designed to take a beating, hence why I choose to go with it.

image004.jpg
image003.jpg
image002.jpg
image001.jpg

PS: It looks glossy, but the pictures I took was on a cloudless, bright summer day.

Shoedawg, I saw your thread a couple weeks ago. Your paint came out perfect! How hard was it to flip your boat over? I have a 1752, so ours should be pretty close to the same weight.

mbweimar said:
Shoedawg, I saw your thread a couple weeks ago. Your paint came out perfect! How hard was it to flip your boat over? I have a 1752, so ours should be pretty close to the same weight.
Man....it's was Tough. I had about 4 guys help me flip it over. The boat is too heavy to handle by yourself. I would purchase some furniture dollies and use them when you flip your boat over.

Get about 4 of em. One for each corner on the boat. These make it very easy to move the boat around while flipped over. You can find them really cheap at Harbor Freight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Latest posts