What size gas tank do you use?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1648 25HP - 12 Gallon

Sometimes I'm out all day and will need enough fuel to go up and down river.

I'm currently using a 6 gal tank on my 90/65, but thinking of going to a bigger, under deck fuel tank. V4 is thirsty!!

1448 Alumacraft / 25hp Mercury 4 stroke EFI / 6 Gallon Tank

It takes me forever to use 6 gallons. It seems that I refill it once every 10 trips.

16' with a Yamaha 4 stroke and a 3 gallon tank to save space. I rarely use more than 1- 1+1/2 gallons a day but do carry a small 1 gallon back up ... just in case.

1648 lowe with a 9.9 2 stroke .. i run a 6gal for my main and 3gal for reserve ...

I run a 60hp 2cly Johnson (similar to you) with a 12 gallon built in tank. I would not want any smaller. Most trips I only use less than a half tank so it's nice on occasions to not have to stop to fill up. The times I have a crew and we joyride it's great to be able to burn all we want.

I am replacing my metal tank. A new 6 gallon Atwood will drop right in. Their 12 gallon might be too tall.

Guess I have to do some measuring. A 12 would be great if it will fit.
richg99

I'm running a 12 gallon tank on a 1436 jon with a 25hp 2stroke motor.
At one time Atwood or Champion? had 3 different height 12 gallon tanks.

548 War eagle boat with 2000 model yamaha 25hp 4 stroke. I keep a 3 gal tank in the boat. I have yet to use all 3 gallons on a single trip. 90% of the time I throw a gallon or two in the lawn mower; the little teeny tiny jets in the carb get plugged super easily with old fuel (2 weeks maximum). If I ain't going to use the boat for a week or so, I'll dump the gas out. 3 gal frees up space in the back for other stuff like tackle box or minner bucket.

I'm running a 25hp 2 stroke Mariner on a 1538 hull. I keep a 6 gal tank under the rear bench and take an additional 5 gal of fuel with me for those times when 6 gal isn't going to be enough. But for most of the fishing trips I go on, two gal would be enough. I like having a built in reserve, just in case.

For my purposes...I threw out the 4 stroker answers (since I have a 2 stroke and they burn more)

Out of the replies
4 had 6 gallon tanks with engines that ranged 9.9 hp to 65 hp
3 had 12 gallon tanks with engines that ranged from 25 hp to 60 hp
1 had a 9 gallon tank??? with a 60 hp 2 cycle engine.

I looked up the measurements on the 6 and 12-gallon tanks from Atwood. The 12 is a few inches longer than the 6. That few inches will probably determine my answer.

If I can squeeze the 12 in, I might as well have it...since I am changing tanks at this time. If it won't fit, it won't fit...and I'll use the new 6 and figure out a way to carry two or three gallons in reserve.

I've seen references about some guys buying the premixed gasoline in metal cans at Wal-Mart ( or wherever). After they use up the premix, they just re-fill the one-gallon bottle/cans and keep a few in the boat.

Anyone do anything like that? I don't think I have room for a second real gas tank.

I am unable to accurately estimate my gas usage since this is a new, heavier hull than I had before. Also, most of my running in the TVA lakes last summer was limited since I was just trying to find my way around. This summer, I intend to run further and more often.

Thanks for all of the input and help. richg99

1648 mv ,30 hp efi 4 stroke. came with a 6 gal. took up too much space.went to a 3 gal. even when we camp i only bring an extra 2 gals. sips fuel. would take a month to go thru 6 gals. tohatsu.

Just to follow up, my tank might be a 7.5 gallon, not 9 gallon. It's hard to tell from the ad since it says both. It looks like a 9 gallon tank but is listed as 7.5 with a 1.5 reserve. Not sure I really believe that.

7.5 gallon fuel tank

I have a 17' Spectrum with a 70hp stroke. It has an 18 gal built in tank but it is a tad overkill. I have been thinking a while now about removing it and moving my batteries back to its location and going with 2 separate 6 gallon tanks. I just hate not being able to easily drain it and even though I have a fuel gauge on the console, it's tough to not overfill it.

My dad also used to have an old Crosby sled tri-hull with a 1959 35HP Evinrude on it and had a 6 gal tank. And that think drank gas like a penny pincher at an open bar. The boat would scoot about 35 mph with that motor but going to our typical fishing hole about 30 minutes away and then back we would use what seemed the entire tank.

I think the rule of thumb on 2-stroke fuel consumption is 1 gal of gas for every 10hp at wide open throttle. Meaning a 25hp, for example, would use 2.5 gallons for 1 hour at WOT. Assuming 25 mph at WOT, that would be 10 MPG. I'm not sure how true that really is but it seems reasonable.

Latest posts