1448 MonArk

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK1982

Reaction score
Gentleman,
Now that Duck season is over, I decided to replace the half rotten original transom in my '76 1448 MonArk. Question though: After looking over the numerous posts regarding transom replacement, I have a dilemma that I have not seen in any of the posts as of yet. My transom support brace is taller and wider than anything I've seen, the top of my stern hooks over as if it was C-Channel and then there's brackets in each corner on the port and stern to sandwich the transom board in. The old wood will rip out due to it being rotten, but it's looking like I'm going to have to remove the support brace and brackets to get the new transom in (Which I'm not looking forward to, and am not happy about). In all honesty the wood was not that rotten and I'd rather still have a leak proof boat then have to drill out factory stuff.
Regardless, all the wood is out, there's no turning back now.... How do you remove the old rivets? Do they drill out just as if they were pop rivets? What should I use to replace them on the reinstall? Bolts with a sealant? New rivets? If so anyone know what sized I need and any guidance on how to install those?

Attachments

• 0201161735.jpg
    0201161735.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,478
No need to worry man, this job is not as bad as you think. I've had to do this several times, check out the link to my Landau 1470 below, pics should be in there.

I used a heavy wire cutter/snipper to pinch off as much of the rivet on the inside as I could and then used a punch and hammer to knock out the rest. On a couple of them I had to drill a small hole and then use the hammer and punch.

To put it back together, use SS bolts, washers and lock nuts sealed w/ 3M 5200. I believe size 10 fits the standard rivet hole quite well.

Thank you very much! Sometimes the search engine will produce results for everything your NOT looking for!

Here are some pics.

I circled the snipper tool in red in the second pic.

Good luck, it's worth it to have a nice, new, solid transom.

Attachments

• Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 1,441
  • Install.jpg
    Install.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,441
  • Clean.jpg
    Clean.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 1,441
  • Snipper.jpg
    Snipper.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 1,441
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 1,441
Project complete. I went ahead and ordered rivets and the tools for my pneumatic hammer to drive them and they sent me the wrong rivets. Long story short I wasnt about to wait, so SS hardware it was and plenty of 5200. I drill oil and gas wells for a living, and between all the honey do's and spring chores I had I never had a chance to take her on the water but intend to this coming days off when I get off this rig. Cant wait to try out the new motor I hung on the transom also..... well, new used...... new to me :)

Attachments

• 0204161824.jpg
    0204161824.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,362
  • 0303161934.jpg
    0303161934.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,362
  • 0303161936.jpg
    0303161936.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,362
  • 0303161937_2.jpg
    0303161937_2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,362
I live 10min from Granger Lake so primarily in the main body of the lake and running up the San Gabriel running lines where it comes into the lake. It will probably see some limited duty on Stillhouse Hollow, Lake Georgetown, Decker Lake, and Bastrop.

Other than my little pond, I sure wish I was ten minutes from ANY lake. Takes most of two hours to reach West Galveston Bay..running through or around downtown Houston traffic. Bah Humbug.

Conroe is about an hour North, through tons of traffic on I-45...but I can't seem to find many fish there. Just me, I guess.

regards, richg99

I know what you mean. I work for a Conroe based company, I loath having to ever go in for a meeting. Yet at the same time Conroe isnt diddly compared to when I worked for Scientific Drilling which was in N.Houston...... It felt like a load of bricks off the shoulders everytime I'd merge from the beltway and get pointed back west on 290 to head home.

Latest posts