Plywood Decking Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iraqvet13f

Reaction score
Hello To all!
Newby here. Got a few question for everyone here at tinboats.

Before I start, I’m sure these questions have been mulled over and shot to heck many times, BUT I was not sure where to post. So please bear with me here.

I am mechanically and constructional inclined. But have never attempted a Marine deck replacement, and my questions pertain to sealing and coating the floor decking. So here we go:

My boat is a 1988 Sea Nymph FM 165, Aluminum boat. Original deck is really flexing and soft, and I am a pretty big guy, (250 lbs) and I fish with 2 other people (Wife and father in law). I will be adding new seats and pedestals, some new wiring, and updated rod holders. This is mainly a CATFISH boat, So I NO CARPET back in this boat.. too hard to keep clean.

Boat is under a carport when not used, no open sides only open on each end.

Original decking is ½ inch with carpet. (Original decking has held up very well if Id say so)

2 Options: Option A) is quite a bit out of my budget, financially,. Option B is what I am leaning towards

A. ¾ inch Marine Plywood ($86 per sheet) (3 sheets needed) , seal bottom and sides with Tung Oil and sealer. Cover top side with a paint primer (2 coats) sand, clean and coat with 2 coats Kiwigrip.

And I have to drive almost 125 miles round trip to get the marine plywood, or pay a little more (Per sheet) for the BOX Store to get some for me, and you know how that can go… get some warped or damaged junk.

OR

B. 5/8 inch ACX exterior plywood (abt $45 per sheet) (need 3 sheets), From BOX Store, seal bottom and sides with Tung Oil and sealer. Cover topside with a paint primer (2 coats) and cover with 2 coats of Kiwigrip.

Fasteners: Stainless Screws or Rivet it down?

My budget is pretty slim for the decking build, about $400 max . Thats for everything needed. Kiwigrip is on its way already.

So, there it is… looking forward to the OPINIONS of all the folks here…

READY….. GO

Thanks for the input!!!

I would go with the 5/8 plywood and stainless screws. You could mix some sand with the last coat of paint so your deck wont be as slippery.

I also would go with just exterior grade ply wood, marine grade is extremely expensive and not really necessary, 5/8 should be more than enough. I used epoxy on my wood and added sand to make a nice none skid easy to clean surface.

5/8" exterior BCX.
Then seal it with a mix of spar urethane, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirts and top coat it with Rustoleum in the color of your choice.

I agree with the others, 5/8" should be fine and Marine Grade is overkill and expensive. I'd use screws where possible. Post a picture of it when you get a chance.

I be going with the 5/8 ACX / BCX option. Hope it goes well!! Thanks for all the input!!

Latest posts