Need advise on boat purchase. pictures added

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dant

Reaction score
Please give me your thoughts on a new to me boat purchase. I'm considering a 2004 Sylvan 1600 Sport Troller with a 2009 Evinrude 40hp E-Tec. Asking price 6300. The boat, trailer and motor appear to be in near new condition, one owner and garage kept. I am not familiar with this brand of boat any advise would be welcome.

Attachments

• BOAT1.jpg
    BOAT1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 787
  • BOAT2.jpg
    BOAT2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 787
  • BOAT4.jpg
    BOAT4.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 787
Sounds like a real fair price. I'm not too familiar with Sylvan aluminum boats but if the quality is similar to the other major players, and everything works correctly, I'd consider it. Make sure you either give it a good test drive with someone who knows boats very well or take it to a repair shop/dealer before you say farewell to your hard earned cash. Major motor problems would place the amount invested into the unacceptable bracket very quickly. Be willing to pay a refundable $100 for an hour of mechanics time and you should set up the appointment to take it in so that the shop knows they are working for the buyer and not the seller.
If you buy it post some pics so we can help you celebrate your new-to-you boat.

Sylvan boats were made in New Paris, Ind, not far from where I am from. I nerver owned one, but they were pretty common in that area. I looked at a couple of new ones years ago, and they looked pretty decent. I don't think they make boats anymore, just pontoons. The boat in the picture looks well kept, and I like the layout.

At onetime some Sylvan boats were rebadged Starcrafts. I don't know which models and what years but Sylvan's are good boats.

Thanks for the information. The layout is exactly what I was looking for and the condition of the boat is very
good for being 12 years old. I just have never heard of this brand so I wasn't sure of their reputation.
I'm not crazy about the light colored carpet but I can live with it as long as the boat holds up okay.

I've owned five different bass boats over the years but don't know to much about V bottoms.
I'll be fishing small conservation lakes mostly but will also be fishing larger reseviors at times.
The boat is 16' 9" long and 67"wide. Will this do ok in semi rough water? I was hoping for a little wider boat
but haven't been able to find one in this good of condition to fit my budget.

Any opinions on G3’s? I looked at an Angler 167T and really liked it a little better however the guy had just
sold it the day I looked at it.

Looks a lot like my dad's Sylvan that he had since the mid '80s. And it still looks new today.

Perhaps its the picture but the transom doesn't look that high - and it doesn't appear to have a splashwell either - both would be something I'd be looking for if I were to use a boat on rougher water.

Also check here to see roughly what the insurance company will cover:

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats

Make sure you're not buying for more than you can insure it for

Banks & insurance companies use NADA values for loan approvals & underwriting - you should too when looking @ buying a car or boat.

Latest posts