Camo'd and improved side console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I removed the side console from my old Lowe hull before scraping the boat. It was moved over to my new 1652 G3 hull. Since the new hull came camo'd, the SC had to match....right? Ha Ha

I've never had anything camo'd before, so this whole process has been a fun learning experience.

I bought this camo kit from Amazon. Not a bad price, considering that I received 6 cans of extremely flat, oil-based Rustoleum paint, all in the what must be the correct colors.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ROI59I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
51cUyoQQxiL._SX425_.jpg

Old console...
IMG_20160110_142416.jpg

New console

Attachments

• IMG_20160206_140423-2.jpg
    IMG_20160206_140423-2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,044
Just one coat. The four different colors that come in the kit is what I used. Some of two of them, and more of the darker shades.

I don't know how it will hold up since this is all new to me. I can easily add another layer. As my BIL said, "you can't make a mistake" Ha Ha richg99

What did you put on top? A cup holder?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep, though I want to find a bigger one soon.
Here's a LINK to a similar one. richg99

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FGEF6Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1455191446&sr=8-3&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=auto+cup+holder+organizer

ref=mp_s_a_1_3

Thanks for posting more ideas for us to snag! I settled on a side console boat because I could not find a deal on a tiller boat. Hated it because it was hard to stand and drive and it seemed flimsy.

First mod was a larger diameter wheel with suicide knob. That raised the wheel and the large diameter is negated by the knob around docks.

Next I cut the console and added aluminum like you did near the floor to raise it. I just notched the bench seat in front of it to move it foward and to give it some real suport. I made gussets to stiffen it up where it flexed and added hardware to stiffen the helm mount.

My goal was to make it rock solid to hang onto while I stand in ruff conditions. I searched for tiller conversion parts but have grown to like the console. I think it's a keeper now that it's tall enough to stand and rock solid enough to really lean on.