Holes in aluminum boat!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asw436

Reaction score
I recently picked up an aluminum boat for 300 bucks. After stripping 4 layers of paint I found around 8 holes ranging in size. One damaged is now the size of quarter because of my failed rod brazing attempts. What would be the best repair?

A. Drill out a perfect hole, Take a large bolt with a thin nylon washer and epoxy and use a nut on the back side to make a water tight seal.

B. clean the aluminum very good, cut a piece of aluminum larger than the hole, put a thick layer of epoxy and rivet it to the hull.

C.pay 225 and get the boat welded

I don't need the boat to hold up forever. Just for the next 3 seasons while I save up cash to get another hull. At the same time, I want the boat to be safe.

I appreciate any input.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 655
Considering you only paid $300 my choice of options would be B first, then C and lastly A. Concerning option A, I removed the aerator inlet and drain on my boat and used stainless fender washers, stainless nut and bolt with neoprene washers and 5200 to seal the holes .... worked just fine.

Thank you very much for your feed back! I really appreciate it. What about those epoxy stick you melt? Cabelas used to sell them. I think I'm going to etch the aluminum then fill the gaps with that melt on epoxy then get either permabond or loctight epoxy lather it on the aluminum and rivet on an aluminum patch. Thanks for your advice.

I would rough the base metal with 80 grit sandpaper, liberally apply 3M5200, then rivet the patch on. Make patch significantly larger than the hole.

I used pop rivets for similar repair. I pushed the rivet flange back (with socket) & applied the sealant to the shank so that the rivet would be well sealed. Put a plastic sheet barrier over the stem when you rivet, otherwise you make get sealant inside the rivet gun jaw.

It's about 3/4 the way down the boat towards the front on the very bottom.

You need to find another welder. Don't know where you live, but my brother had a fairly large hole in his boat welded up and it only cost 40.00. Sounds like your welder is trying to make a quick buck. Shop around.

Latest posts