Silicone

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estrst25

Reaction score
I am in a dilemma and can't wait until I receive the 3m 5200. Is there another type of silicone I can use to seal out water when replacing bolts thru transom? And that is also paintable. Thanks in advance

Locktite S30 roofing sealant - is a lower grade polyurethane sealant, distant relative to 3M5200. I use it, but not on mission critical areas. I think it would be fine to keep water out of transom bolt holes. You can get it at most hardware stores.

I would avoid silicone seal, it dries out over time.

I'm also replacing some of the wore out rivets on bottom of boat with stainless steel screws. Would you not recommend using that on screws and rivets

Never use silicone on aluminum it has a type of acid in it that will eat into the aluminum over time.
3M 4200 is a less permanent sealer that is good above the water line.
3M5200 in the squeeze tube can be found at either Lowes or Home depot I don't remember which one has it. Walmart also sells a marine sealant.

estrst25 said:
I'm also replacing some of the wore out rivets on bottom of boat with stainless steel screws. Would you not recommend using that on screws and rivets
Yes.

Thanks for the pict of the 5200 corrosion! Was unaware of that.

I know that 3M recommends a primer for 5200 over alum, but it is ridiculous expensive.

What would be a good primer to use? Self etching ok? Then maybe some car paint on top of that? (I have these already)

Lowes has the Loctite Pl marine adhesive like the 5200

https://www.lowes.com/pd_756352-69-2020627___?productId=999901423&pl=1&Ntt=loctite+marine

Defiant said:
Lowes has the Loctite Pl marine adhesive like the 5200

https://www.lowes.com/pd_756352-69-2020627___?productId=999901423&pl=1&Ntt=loctite+marine
If your working on a bigger project you can order the 10oz caulk gun size tubes of 3M5200 online from Lowes and have it delivered.

Latest posts