hatch pulls

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishjunky

Reaction score
I am making my hatches by making the frame from 1" aluminum square tubing, and then pop riveting a skin on top of that (same way my deck is constructed). I had planned on using nylon webbing (seat belt material) and doubling it over, riveting to the back side of the tubing to make a pull.

Unfortunately, if I size the hatch lid large enough to create friction fit between the webbing and the deck framing (to prevent rattling), the lid is extremely hard to lift out due to the bottom corner of the framing reducing the gap while lifting the lid.

The only thing I can think to do would be to cut off a small part of the hatch lid framing to accommodate the webbing.

Any thoughts on this?

Can you rivet the webbing on the top of the hatch?
Or don't double it up where it interferes. Double it up where it's riveted and then where you grab it.

My solution to this was to drill a hole (approx 1 1/4") opposite side from the hinge, then used a rat tail file to smooth the edges of the hole so there's nothing that could possibly cut me. Now I don't have to worry about tripping on anything and opening the hatch is as easy as sticking my finger in the hole, crook my finger and lift. It's not a water tight compartment, so the hole isn't going to cause any issues there. I thought I had a picture of it here but I couldn't find one.

Latest posts