Someone take me to school on deck framing!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
As the title states, someone take me to school. Over the past few months I've had ample time to sit around and think about how to improve my boat while it's being repaired. I've combed through dozens of threads and YouTube videos. I've worn out Google Images as well. One idea I came up with is how I can take advantage of the rear bench area. Two scenarios come to mind. Here's the only pic I could find of my boat.

First scenario: Build a frame between the rear bench and the transom to lay a deck sturdy enough to stand and fish from. I stole this pic from google images.

To me, this seems like the more difficult of the two scenarios. Having to work around the corner bracing, fuel line, fuel/water seperator, etc seems like a lot of work. Obviously this deck will need some sort of hatch to access the bilge.

Second scenario: Build a frame onto the front of the bench to extend it forward. To me this seems like the easier of the two. Plus, it would better balance the weight of me and my girlfriend. Win-win right? The pic below best represents what I have in mind, with the exception of the wood. Obviously I would use aluminum.

Now, this framing would have to be ROCK SOLID. It will need to support two people leaning/sitting on the leaning post I found, plus the extreme vibration of riding around in less than smooth intracostal waterways. I'm thinking 1 x 1/8 square tube for the framing, but using 3/16 aluminum pop rivets sounds like the weak link. Since I've never done anything like this, I'm looking for info from the guys who have built decks. Whats the best way to assemble the framing? How are they holding up? Has anyone had one fail? Are they pretty much maintenance free, or do you ever need to go back in and replace rivets as they loosen up? All the uncertainty is making my head spin!

Personally I always use ss bolts and locking nuts wherever possible, not likely to loosen up. Where I can't use them I revert to ss screws. Forgot to mention use a neoprene washer between the ss and aluminum to prevent electrolysis.

I like the rear under the motor open. It's my trash can mainly. Whatever blows or gets chucked in the rear gets trapped. Seat cushions ,life jackets, hats and trash get cought there. That's how I see if water is getting in the boat. That's the area that vents gas fumes. Cover the sides and leave that portion open to dry if not for the other reasons.

Thanks for the input guys. I never considered using stainless, as my boat is used almost exclusively in salt water. I guess neoprene would slow the electrolysis.

I guess I'll have to play with it when I get my boat back.

I personally would lean toward both of your ideas. I would frame in the the rear section like in the first photo you posted and then attach an aluminum panel to the right and left section via quarter turn fasteners (Dzus fasteners). This allows you to stand on that section while fishing yet you can readily remove the panel to access the area underneath for maintenance of the battery or fuel tanks below. If you don't have either of those you could use it for storage.

The idea about extending the rear deck forward is also something I would probably do as well. Again you will be gaining more rear deck to fish from.

Just my 2 pesos.

Rob

Here's the project I am working on. Used aluminum piano hinges. Not sure yet on the latching system I want to use though. It's 1x1x1/8 tubing riveted to 1/16" sheet. Then I used 1 1/2"X1 1/2" angle to make the support structure. It is solid as a rock. You can literally jump on it.

Not only that but now the transom is stronger than I started by connecting it to the bench.

I also plan on extending the deck forward at some point.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,276
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,276
I like going backwards, just remember that if you cover the gas tanks you will be required to have a fire extinguisher on board. Do you really need 2 gas tanks?

Bowhunter1661 said:
Here's the project I am working on. Used aluminum piano hinges. Not sure yet on the latching system I want to use though. It's 1x1x1/8 tubing riveted to 1/16" sheet. Then I used 1 1/2"X1 1/2" angle to make the support structure. It is solid as a rock. You can literally jump on it.

That's exactly what I want!!

Surfman, when I first got the boat, I thought two 6 gallon tanks would be a good idea, but I can run all weekend on 1 tank, so I took the other out.