Think dealer pulling a fast one, need input

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gpmd

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Talked to a dealer Monday about a tracker Grizzly 1648 MVX that I decided on. Said he'd get me full quote. Received it today and it said that they don't have the MVX as of now (which I knew because I was just there) but they'll be getting an AWL shortly snd he could hold with a deposit. I saw on the quote sheet that the price was exactly the same. I did quick search on my phone and couldn't find much info on AWL as its not on tracker website. Everything else I saw made it seem like it's an old model. I emailed back and asked what's the difference between AWL and MVX. His reply was "There is no difference. Grizzlies are all built the same, welded hulls. Only boats that are riveted are the jon boats that sell as Toppers."

Pretty vague. Still don't have access to computer but a further search shower AWLs are over 200lb lighter. So now there is a difference. The only pricing I can find on them are 2009 and earlier for $2100-$2600. I was quoted the MVX price of $2999.

I'm very leery now. Does anyone know about these models? I haven't written back yet but I'm seriously considering going to next closest dealer....54 miles away, if it turns out this guy is intentionally being dishonest. It seems I should be able to order an MVX and if I had to settle for an AWL, it should be cheaper and I should be told the differences. It's a basspro shops too if that matters. Thanks for any input. I'm a rookie so not sure of anything

Different boat. Awl is light and rated for a 50hp. The other has thicker aluminum and rated for 25hp.
https://www.2universal.com/new_vehicle_compare.asp?veh1=64444&mfg2=556&veh2=491568&go2=Go

Wow ... I'd run away from that Dealer! Looks like the MVX model has the 0.190" thick aluminum floor as a standard item, whereas the floor is an option on the AWL. That could account for the almost 200-pounds in eight difference.

Odd #-o that the lighter boat is rated for twice the horsepower though ...

Just did a little research, and from what I gathered they are similar but not the same.
Both have .100 welded hulls, and both have 19" transoms.
The AWL has a 3 deg. dead rise, the MVX has a 7 deg.---the MVX has interior sidewalls---the MVX has a heavier interior floor.
I would say if they told you they are the same, they don't know what they are talking about, I would definitely talk to the other dealer. Do a little homework and get exactly what you want, not what someone wants to sell you.
I also find it strange about the HP rating; may have something to do with the difference in dead rise.

DaleH said:
Wow ... I'd run away from that Dealer! Looks like the MVX model has the 0.190" thick aluminum floor as a standard item, whereas the floor is an option on the AWL. That could account for the almost 200-pounds in eight difference.

Odd #-o that the lighter boat is rated for twice the horsepower though ...
It's probably only thicker because it has less ribs. Cheaper to build. Had to go thicker skin to stop the flex. He just needs to ask himself does he want to cruise around in his old ladies minivan when the fish are not hitting or in a Mustang GT? What motor are you planning on using?

Gpmd said:
It's a basspro shops too if that matters. Thanks for any input.

I'd stay away from BPS and tracker altogether, suprised they're not made in china.

When I first started looking, Tracker HQ contacted me. I still had their email so I asked them and sent them the email chain. Turns out the MVX is called the MVX on the website but internally it's the AWL for their inventory. The model with the exposed ribs, thinner floor etc no longer exists. What I was calling and what the website showed as the MVX, is actually the AWL in trackers system. So my dealer was correct in they are the same.....just wish he would have explained. I had all of this confirmed by a separate dealer who told me so many people get mixed up with it. The good news is the 2nd dealer said he had a 2015 model with a 2014 trailer, both brand new and it came to $495 cheaper. Not bad for an extra 40 miles total of driving! So a days worth of aggravation saved me $500, I'll take it. Thanks for input guys

Well, good for you. Hope you enjoy your new boat.

As Riverbottom said...."always check with at least one other dealer".

I did and was shocked to find that, while the prices for two boats were nearly the same, the "Dealer Freight and Prep" was a $500.00 difference. Much like buying a car, you have to watch out for the... Oh, so many ways,.... that dealers can screw with you.

richg99

Yeah my deal got better. Told the guy his price was a bit better but he was twice the distance. Bass pro was going to charge $135 freight and $200 Doc fee. The second dealer was not charging that. All in all the out the door price was a little more than $900 difference. I learned a big lesson. Even though this boat has a "no haggle price" by tracker, dealers still make a difference. I figured the boat was same everywhere and didn't look at all the fees.

=D>
I learned that lesson a long time ago, I shop around for almost everything.
I think you need to offer the guys that suggested going to another dealer, either a free fishing trip on your new boat, or buy them a case of beer! :lol:

Latest posts