drain plugs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all...I'm new to the tin boats forum. I have an older Richline aluminum boat I've been using for 25 years. This boat has a threaded drain plug hole. I have been using a standard brass t-handle twist type plug which creates compression of rubber from both sides of the hull. It works fairly good but I get some water intrusion. I've tried a threaded pipe fitting plug which leaked badly. Perhaps I have the best setup I can expect? I'm interested in hearing and seeing examples of plugs which work the best and are watertight.

Is it possible that, over a period of years, the hole in your boat has become misshapen? If so, the rubber won't expand enough to fill an oblong hole.

IF...that might be the case, I'd try some pure round pipe etc. to reshape the hole. You might have to grind a taper on one end to make the pipe fit.

If that is not the case, then you might add some aquarium tubing to the T portions of your plug, and tighten away. I've been adding the aquarium tubing and it certainly lets these old arthritic hands crank down more and get the rubber tighter than before.

On a couple of other sites that I read, water intrusion is very often a case of simply not having the plug tight enough. Hope that is your issue, too.

regards, richg99

I wonder if a standard pipe tap to chase the threads would fit then put in a new plug.

healthnspector said:
Hello all...I'm new to the tin boats forum. I have an older Richline aluminum boat I've been using for 25 years. This boat has a threaded drain plug hole. I have been using a standard brass t-handle twist type plug which creates compression of rubber from both sides of the hull. It works fairly good but I get some water intrusion. I've tried a threaded pipe fitting plug which leaked badly. Perhaps I have the best setup I can expect? I'm interested in hearing and seeing examples of plugs which work the best and are watertight.

richg99 said:
Is it possible that, over a period of years, the hole in your boat has become misshapen? If so, the rubber won't expand enough to fill an oblong hole.

IF...that might be the case, I'd try some pure round pipe etc. to reshape the hole. You might have to grind a taper on one end to make the pipe fit.

If that is not the case, then you might add some aquarium tubing to the T portions of your plug, and tighten away. I've been adding the aquarium tubing and it certainly lets these old arthritic hands crank down more and get the rubber tighter than before.

On a couple of other sites that I read, water intrusion is very often a case of simply not having the plug tight enough. Hope that is your issue, too.

regards, richg99

Ok...some good feedback from everyone, so thanks. I'm half afraid to re-thread this hole for fear of making it worse. Where would I find a pipe tap that big? Is my best bet to go to a machine shop & have them match the proper sized plug? Like I said, the water is minimal so I wonder if I should go with what I have? The rubber tubing is a good idea too. I've got it pretty tight & just leave it in all the time. I know the rubber degrades over time, so perhaps this is why I'm getting some water intrusion?

Interesting...

Now that I have read the post correctly...(sorry about that)...

First, I assume that you've tried a new plug...since..as you pointed out, the rubber dries out over time...

I had a smooth floor drain that needed to be plugged. A mechanic took a standard T-handle plug, removed the T-handle shaft, and substituted a 1/4 20 Stainless Steel bolt and nut. He tightened it way up, and I never had a leak from that spot again. Of course, that was a hole that was intended to be permanently sealed.

Also, you mentioned that you tried a threaded plug, but it leaked. If you didn't use pipe dope; teflon tape; or ( old plumber's trick...soft cotton thread) around the threads, it WAS going to leak.

I hope that you can find a solution. Of course, going to a machine shop and have them custom make whatever you need will do it, too. $$$$$$$$

regards, richg99

richg99 said:
Interesting...

Now that I have read the post correctly...(sorry about that)...

First, I assume that you've tried a new plug...since..as you pointed out, the rubber dries out over time...

I had a smooth floor drain that needed to be plugged. A mechanic took a standard T-handle plug, removed the T-handle shaft, and substituted a 1/4 20 Stainless Steel bolt and nut. He tightened it way up, and I never had a leak from that spot again. Of course, that was a hole that was intended to be permanently sealed.

Also, you mentioned that you tried a threaded plug, but it leaked. If you didn't use pipe dope; teflon tape; or ( old plumber's trick...soft cotton thread) around the threads, it WAS going to leak.

I hope that you can find a solution. Of course, going to a machine shop and have them custom make whatever you need will do it, too. $$$$$$$$

regards, richg99

richg99, When I tried the threaded plug I used teflon tape to seal it and I thought it was going to work great...until I put it in the water...not. I really like the idea of removing the T handle and replacing with SS hardware! Since I rarely remove the plug, this may be good option to try. Thanks all for the input. I'll be back soon...with more questions.

Not as good as an in-the-water test....but...if you can build a dam around the area with clay/putty/???...you could pour water into the dammed area and see if it leaks out.

I know some of our readers won't see open water for a few months.

Good Luck.....richg99

healthnspector said:
Hey there...I have a 63 richline and had the same issue. I used a standard brass plug from Ace hardware. It did still leak a little...I wrapped a Ziploc bag around the threads and screwed it in. Sealed perfectly.
healthnspector said:
Johnny said:
PHOTOS usually help in providing more accurate information.

is your drain in the bottom of the transom or in the hull floor ?

in the hull floor.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

hezekiah said:
healthnspector said:
Hey there...I have a 63 richline and had the same issue. I used a standard brass plug from Ace hardware. It did still leak a little...I wrapped a Ziploc bag around the threads and screwed it in. Sealed perfectly.
healthnspector said:
Johnny said:
PHOTOS usually help in providing more accurate information.

is your drain in the bottom of the transom or in the hull floor ?

in the hull floor.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

ok...I'm trying a stainless steel t-bar style rubber compression screw plug for now...I'm not giving up on a threaded water tight steel or brass plug. thanks everyone for the tips.

Nspector - is it possible to remove what you have now
and install a new fitting ?? I have used 3 of the brass
assemblies and they work awesome.

boat plug.jpg

The one in my 1959 Crestliner is original and all aluminum
and the threads are starting to go just like yours.
But, I will have a plumber try to re-tap it to the next largest brass plug.
If that does not work, or is not an option, then I will remove the old
assembly and put in the new all brass assembly.
It has this nice little scoop underneath the hull to suck the water out
when the boat is under way.
Inside Plug.jpg

and again, PHOTOS of what you are talking about would help
the gallery a lot.

Latest posts