raise outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need to raise it more than 1 inch you may run in to problems doing it like the example you posted. 2 inches will probably raise the clamp too high for it to be able to clamp onto the transom securely. I think your best bet would be a jack plate. You could make your own and save some bucks.

There are lots of home made motor raiser and jack plates on the site. I got a great deal on a TH Mini jacker so that's what I'm running.

I have a friend who fabricated me a manual jackplate. The disadvantage is it moves your c of g back and can make a whole lot of spray against the transom due to the space. Another friend welded me a taller transom on my 16 foot sled. Too bad it leaks like a sieve. With a 9.9 you can get away with a riser block.

What type and size hull? Is it an inflatable like in the example? The block idea looks like it would work for one inch, not sure about two...
The jack plate mentioned above was designed for a motor that size, but I'm running a Bob's Machine Shop mini manual jack plate and I can tell you if I were to do it over, I would go with two pieces of 1" x 2" x 3/8" aluminum angle bolted through the stern sheet, elevating the motor, but not setting it back. If you're working with a short jon boat, (less than 16'), you may not like the effects you get from setting the motor back. Especially if you can't distribute the weight inside the boat evenly.

2015 Tracker Grizzly 1448 MVX
1996 Evinrude 25hp 3 cylinder looper

I raised my 20hp Honda almost 2" a couple of weeks ago and finally got to test it. Wow what a difference so much better running. Now that I am happy with it I am going to have a local shop make an aluminum block the correct height and weld a 12" long plate to both sides. That will allow me to place the block and plates over the transom then bolt through all of it and the motor. Safest way I can think of since I don't really ever take the motor off of the boat.

thanks for the replies and ideas. this is for a 14ft aluminum semi-v hull with a 9.9hp, so small boat & small outboard.
I did not think about the issue of having the outboard further back and weight distribution due to the jack plate. This will definitely be a factor since I have a small boat. I will try and see how it runs with a 1" raiser block and if I need more I will probably go with your idea Fishfreak of a 2" raiser block and 2 plates bolted in the transom.
Thanks!

Latest posts