Mounting bunkboards

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebug

Reaction score
I bought a used trailer for my jon boat, but it didn't have any bunk boards on it. The brackets and swivels were there but no wood. I've gotten the wood now and am trying to dertermine the best way to mount the boards to the swivels. Should I through bolt the bunk boards or come in from the bottom with lag bolts? All suggestions appreciated.

Most trailers I've seen have them lagged in from the bottom. If you bolt them through the top you'll need to countersink the bolt heads.

Yes, lagging in from the bottom is what I was wanting to do, I just wasn't sure the lag bolts would be strong enough to last very long.

Every trailer that I had for long had the lag bolts loosen up. Do it right the first time. Once you put the boat on the trailer it will be ...out of sight, out of mind....

richg99

X2 on what Rich said I would use carriage bolts just use a spade bit to counter sink the rounded head a little, then install your carpet and you will be good to go.

richg99 said:
Every trailer that I had for long had the lag bolts loosen up. Do it right the first time. Once you put the boat on the trailer it will be ...out of sight, out of mind....

richg99
I was afraid that loosening up over time would be a problem. I guess I'll just go ahead and put carriage bolts in. No problem with those, just as easy.

Actually, unless you are using oak or another hardwood, carriage bolts may be very difficult when it comes time to remove them. As suggested above, just counter-sink regular hex head bolts.

One second with a proper sized spade bit and the counter sinking will be done.
richg99

Latest posts