Added post style guide-ons & improved my centering device

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I've had post-style guide-ons on my boats for as long as I can remember. When the wind is blowing, nothing works better to get you back on the trailer. I also modified my "trailer centering device" to fit the new trailer.

The guide-ons are about $70.00 at Academy and well worth it, IMHO.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ce-smith-company-post-style-boat-guide-ons-2-pack?repChildCatid=13240

Attachments

• IMG_20160213_114827.jpg
    IMG_20160213_114827.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,030
  • IMG_20160213_114753.jpg
    IMG_20160213_114753.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,012
Why add the single additional guide pole when you already have side guide bunks installed? The redundancy seems a bit of overkill...

momule said:
Why add the single additional guide pole when you already have side guide bunks installed? The redundancy seems a bit of overkill...

probably because if its a steep ramp the side bunks are too low in the water to catch the boat

My buddy had that problem and sometimes the boat would want to ride up on the side bunk instead of being guided by it

momule said:
I can only guess that you do not use a truck to recover your boat or you don't do the driving. Even a single pole will help you know exactly where the back of that trailer is even when the trailer is empty and backing down to the ramp. Maybe you didn't think about that aspect or have never used one that had poles or elevated lighting. My tail lights are at the top of my poles so I can see mine even at night. I can back my empty trailer up at night just as easy and and fast as I can in daylight.

I will never own another boat trailer that doesn't have roller guides and elevated lights. Not only do my lights stay dry (I don't care if they are waterproof) I can see the back of the trailer even when it's submerged.

I really like the centering device you added! Might have to steal that idea.

Yeah when driving my truck on all the launches around me I can't even see my trailer only the guides, and then once in the water the boat can drift to one side or the other and it's way off center. On a tin you can usually just back it in so it's barely floating and push it over but on my proline you aren't going to love it by hand and I have been thinking about adding bunks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added the lighted guide posts to my trailer and I have the side bunks as well. My primary reason is that I could not see the trailer with my mirrors on my GMC canyon I bought a couple of months ago, with the guide posts I can spot the trailer much better.