Hows this paint job sound?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatnoob

Reaction score
I have a saltwater tender aluminum jon boat. It stays in saltwater at all times. Right now it is leaking seams and rivets, not too many of them, but enough to be a significant problem for it's use.

its dry on a beach now and this is what I plan to do.

Sand/wire brush the whole thing. Acetone scrub the whole thing. seal seams rivets leaks and old patches with amazing goop marine epoxy. Go over that with flex seal inside and out probably. wash with acetone again after those two cure. Paint with self etching automotive primer (dupli color interior/exterior) . Then finally I am going to put a coat or two of oil based gloss rustoleom enamel indoor outdoor, or some marine bottom paint if I can get it cheap.

Please review and pick holes from this strategy. Does the plan sound sound?

Possible problems I see
-acetone hurting sealant stability chemically pre painting.
-flex seal and silicon not compatible?
-obviously that the main coat of rustoleom will fail in salt water, exposing the vulnerable undercoats not suited to marine environment for sure. differences in expansion contraction.(for this reason I have decided not to do a rubberized flex seal coat on the entire thing just the seams)
Thanks a lot for any and all advice. Appearance is not really an object.

I'm new here and have been reading up all I can on aluminum repairs. I looked up the amazing goop you want to use, and found this technical sheet: https://www.austinkayak.com/assets/pdf/Marine_GOOP_Technical_Data_Sheet.pdf
You will want to find out how the flex seal product might interact with the goop, acetone, and other primer/paint used.
I think you will want to identify where the leaks are coming from first. You might have several loose rivets that can be tightened/tweaked/replaced before you start with all of the other sealants.
I have not used this product, but it is mentioned in other postings: https://www.marinetex.com/gluvit.html
Please keep us informed on your project.

What little I know about riveted jons....(and that is not much)....says to re-buck all of the potential leaking rivets before doing anything else.

Certainly makes sense, in that a loose rivet will probably screw up whatever glue/cover/paint/sealer that you put on it.

richg99

Latest posts