Bedliner thoughts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticCat500

Reaction score
looking to coat the inside of my old 10ftr, not sure what prep worked is involved and the outcome of the bedliner, Im thinking it also might make the inside a littler hotter....all that black. Any thoughts or recommendations would surely help.
Thnx

I like the idea...but it does make it hotter for sure! The back up of my pickup is nice and toasty during the summer. I like fishing in flip flops and no shoes during the hot summer.

The inside has to be clean, dirt and flake free (use acetone to remove oils and stuff) and you should be good to go if you decide to go that route.

I think its a great idea, its non skid and it waterproofs.. I have used two different brands and they both cost and smell about the same.

I wouldn't use black like herculiner in a boat, I used it in the tub of my jeep and it turned out good but definitely gets hot!..

I would go with duraback https://www.nonslipcoating.com/ and pick a lighter color. I used grey on my front and back casting decks instead of carpeting and the only problem is that the stuff fades easily if left in the sun even the uv resistant forumula.. so it might be a good idea to keep it covered or in a garage... which I have never done :)

Here you can see how the sun fades it, I just put a new coat on the rear hatch lid yesterday so I could see the difference myself

The prep work involved is the hardest part, you basically just use a scouring pad on the whole area to rough up the surface so it will have something to stick to and then wipe it all down with a solvent like xylene. Oh and btw wear gloves when rolling it on or your hands with look like you just got outta a coal mine for atleast two weeks until it wears off..

Here's my front casting deck, the front it duraback over the aluminum and behind the seam its over plywood.

I've used Herculiner in a few truck beds (including my current one), and the cab of another truck & inside a Jeep tub as well. I have no complaints with the product. If I remember correctly, as Jim mentioned, cleaning is an important aspect, and I believe the kit also includes a scuff-pad to rough the surface. Herculiner has a website, try Googling it, probably some usable info there. The directions that come with it are pretty clear as well.

ST

I've pondered on doing this when I had my 12ft jonboat, but one thing stopping me was the price. And 2nd, I loaded this boat in the back of my truck....Even at maybe 1/8th inch thick...over that 10ft jonboat, I would imagine it would increase the weight quite a bit, plus like the others said, any of the cheaper black coatings would be HOT.

I used the Plasti-Cote stuff from Wal-Mart to do mine, but I strained out most of the rubber grit that was in it before I put it on. It's black, but I'm decking above it and the decking will be a lighter color so maybe it won't get too hot. I've got my boat coated inside and outside. I haven't put it in the water but it SHOULD be 100% leak proof with all that on there. I gave every rivet an extra couple of coats.

IMG_683111.jpg

IMG_683311.jpg

IMG_68431.jpg

IMG_68521.jpg

i think it would be great for a john boat as long as its a lighter color, or if you live up north i guess black would be good too. its a good non skid paint, not really good for a bed liner though, unless looks are all your shooting for but thats a different topic...

I herculinerd my bed and other than fading it just scratches off too easy, about as easy as regular paint. which would obviously be fine for a john boat, but of course not so great for a truck bed. i would guess the lighter colors probably don't fade as much.

cote-l is great stuff. i used it on a non tin (sorry guys) 17 foot and used the light blue smooth on the console and the sides and the coarse on the floor itself. :idea: but if your like me and walk around bare footed the coarse hurts. i added a coat of smooth over it and it made it a little bit better. get a sample before you make any decisions b/c that stuff is not cheap. hope it helps.

thanks for all the hits guys, Im acutally going to look into the Cote L products, the Durabak coatings, this seems to be a logical choice, Thanks Again......heres a link https://www.nonslipcoating.com/marine.htm

Latest posts