Added/extended my stern bench seat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
IMG_20160215_153533.jpgThis G3 hull seems to have a narrower bench seat than my previous Lowe. I can see that, for the back-seat fisherman, he would have little room to place his feet, unless he was always parallel to the gunnels. Also, spinning his seat around would be difficult as his feet would be over-hanging the fuel tank and batteries half of the time.

I cut a piece of 3/4 plywood, camo'd it, and added hinges. My only concern now is whether the 3/4 plywood is stiff enough for someone to stand and walk on it. I can add an aluminum brace below decks if I think it is too flexible for its purpose. I'll walk around back there the next time I have the boat on the water, which, I hope, is this week.

regards, richg99

AFTER

Attachments

• IMG_20160215_153627.jpg
    IMG_20160215_153627.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 901
I was lucky in that the G3 comes with a "lip" on three sides. Obviously, it was intended for a factory install of a similar topper.

If your jon doesn't have the "lip", I suppose you could jerry rig some braces, but they wouldn't be as sturdy.

richg99

Looks good rich! You've been doing quite a bit to this new rig, should start a build thread for it to keep track of it all.

Funny you should say that.

As I was wrapping up one more thing yesterday (added some cleats up front)..I was thinking that I should go back and chronicle all that I've had to do to get this new hull back up to where the 20-year-old Lowe was.

Might do it...(If I EVER finish!..my "improvements".

richg99

Stump...."ever finished".... Ha Ha...My wife says NO boat that I ever owned was finished.

But, after only 55+ years of married life, she no longer questions that fact. It took a couple of decades to get to this point.
richg99

There is always something that could use improving or is old and needs replacing, that's just the way it is. :) Helps keep us off the streets and out of trouble, usually.

That's a nice purposeful mod. to the boat, I have also thought about doing that but just haven't got around to it!

Latest posts