2001 Mariner 25M

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK1982

Reaction score
mariner 2.jpgmariner 1.jpgGuys,
I've been looking to repower my 1448 MonArk from my 78 Johnson 15hp and got a really good price on a 2001 Mariner 25M short shaft. My wife went and picked it u for me since I'm stuck on a oil rig drilling a well right now. She knows the basics to look for and aside from her saying things looked good, I'm going to have to say the seller was very legit considering he owns and operates a full on boat shop / marina; as in not a handpainted sign that say outboard repari, but a 40x60 with 30' Mako's being overhauled, Scarab's with 454's being pulled ect.
Nonetheless, I have two questions that I totally overlooked to ask / have my wife ask the seller. What ratio do you mix the fuel / oil on these motors? Standard 50:1?
Second, aside from being a short shaft tiller driven outboard, and the pull cord / handle... the motor is quite different from what I'm used to. Anyone with a '01 25hp Merc or Mariner have any advice for me regarding quirks these motors have, do's, donts or anything to look out for. Just looking for some input to save me from cussing like a sailor every time at launch or cold start.
My big plan is to use this as a main motor and keep my Johnson as a backup. Between having allot into it (new top end including crank), its just such a good motor I would rather start it yearly and keep it as a backup. A unexpected breakdown can end a duck season before it even starts.

Thanks

50:1

google search Mercosil and see if your's is one. I have never heard any good comments about Mercosil blocks, but I don't know enough about them to say one way or another.

Also IIRC they have a weird tell-tale. In other words water doesn't pee out until the thermostat is open. Going off of memory, so it would be advisable to research it a little.

1997 is when I quit selling Merc/Mariner outboards...thank goodness. I got into the business in '94 and got out of it in '97. Merc (Brunswick) was not fun to work with.

I have a 2000 Merc 25 hp. They are great motors. The choke high idle can be a little tricky until you get used to how it works. Mine pees as soon as its started.
Good luck, now go fishin.

My favorite of all 25HP motors. The shifter and start/stop button all on the tiller
within easy reach is the only way to go.

Power to weight is excellent and the '00 through '05 25 two stroke Mercs run forever with basic maintenance.

They do have a thermostat and all of mine have operated perfectly. Learn how to use the prime/choke
on the first start of the day and you'll be a happy boater for many years to come.

Latest posts