old jon in new hull question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baconator

Reaction score
Has anyone had just a hull made then welded an old jon boat inside of it?
I've got an old riveted 1436 Ouachita jon and i'm thinking that maybe i could get just a hull crimped to a little wider then spot weld it in/ brace it up a bit then wallah, i have a different hull. I know this sounds crazy but it just popped into my head. I have a different boat so it's not like its i can't live without this if i mess it up. Just lookin for an honest opinion, hopefully someone with some imagination has some insight on this.

On deployment right now and am thinkin of stuff i can do when i get home. lol

Baconator
Thanks so much for Your service.
Here's a link to one of the advertiser's on this website.
https://www.xtremeboats.com/
Email them and ask.
Good luck with your project.

Steve A W

Thank you guys for the support! it's much needed in today's day and age. we are about half way done, We are just ready to get home. haha, who wouldn't be right. lol

So looking more into this build i'm thinking of, In my head it seems doable, but the more i look into it the harder it's going to be and it's gonna be a lot of money. to find a peice of Aluminum sheet at 14' long and at least 5' wide is going to put a dent in the bank for sure, not a huge one but a little ding. The other issue is the one piece hull thing, to find a place that could break anything over 10' in my area seems pretty unrealistic. Think i may have jumped the gun in my head so to speak. I'll admit i probably should have done some more research. The idea still seems cool to me though. Just have to weigh the pros and cons.

Thanks for the reply's. If i end up doing anything to it i will definitely put it on here. I also have big ideas for my Excel f4, i've got a full page of things i want to do to it. Summer can't come quick enough!

Ya'll have an awesome day!!!

I'll bet everyone here has, at one time or another, come up with a GREAT idea in anticipation of time/opportunity/nation of residence to do it, then started applying layers of reasoning which eventually cover the concept with cost/labor/end result reality. :)

Thank you for you service, bud.

There are gazillions of boats waiting for you.

(I had this idea for a submarine canoe for jump-shooting ducks. Concept was magnificent!
Breathing became an issue. :( )

Only got a few months left on this old rust bucket out here. This idea keeps coming up in conversation with the welder on board and i. The skin on the whole boat idea is kind of out of the question but what we've come up with is just getting spot welding a piece to the bottom then welding the outsides of a single sheet around the outside. who knows..... if this happens i will definitely keep everyone up to speed. btw, my welding skills are finally coming along. fixed some aluminum messdecks tables all by myself, pretty proud of it if i mus say the least. lol

Latest posts