I'm lost, bow mount trolling motor install

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nated.

Reaction score
I bought a v bottom boat and want to install a bow mounted i-pilot power drive V2 trolling motor. I 'm lost don't know where to start. Please submit pictures to give me ideas on where to start and how to go about doing this. I've never done this before, and don't know what i'm doing. I don't know how to secure wood to the aluminum boat. i'm leaning towards welding? i also thought about pop rivets to secure something up front to mount the trolling motor on. Additionally, i'd also like to mount the trolling motor battery underneath the trolling motor. Again any pictures to give me some ideas are greatly appreciated. mucho thanks, nate

Attachments

• boat, 2.JPG
    boat, 2.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,436
  • boat, 1.JPG
    boat, 1.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • boat, 4.jpg
    boat, 4.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,436
Welcome aboard. Try the search function, there are tons of photos of bowmount trolling motors.

Use a sheet of aluminum or plywood
d401a06ef7e7ef54b15e0a02a2a335cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a bow cap and had this trolling motor mount fabricated by a friend. I secured non pt 2x4's horizontally to the gunnel and added two 2x4 stringers and then just laid a piece of resin coated plywood on top for my deck. Kept it simple and works greatView attachment 2.View attachment 1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1456408375914.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1456408375914.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,337
  • uploadfromtaptalk1456408400549.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1456408400549.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,337
  • uploadfromtaptalk1456408468828.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1456408468828.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,337
Welcome to the site.
I can't say that there's any specific right way to do what you need done. There's tons of suggestions that you can get from searching out pictures on here from all the boat build threads. Beyond that, it is a fun time to let your ingenuity guide you. Get a general idea of how you want it to look or function, and then invent your own way to do it. There are guidelines such as not using pressure treated wood, try to keep it as light as possible, and other common sense things. But otherwise the sky's the limit.
Get yourself started down a path and post pictures for us along the way. I know that the geniuses here will have suggestions for you as you go.

IF you fish at night, or very early in the morning, be sure to leave some place to mount your bow red/green light. I only mention this because the guy who put my TM on the bow didn't think ahead on this topic. richg99

Mucho thanks to all. Nav lights are going on the side of the boat. Copy to shy away from wood. A mighty dangerous event is a redneck with scrap aluminum, cardboard template material, hand drill, rivets and an imagination!! Again thanks to all.

I would definitely go with aluminum. Being mindful of a good gauge and type. Also there is a big difference between your hardware store rivets and boat rivets (aircraft grade). That trolling motor could take a pounding up there. You don't want to have those rivets loosen up or pop. Good luck!