HOT TIP!! Get a Foam Brd Discount @ BigBox Stores

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoedawg

Reaction score
HOT TIP!!

So next time you go into a Lowes or Home Depot, looking for foam board, ask if they have any foam board they are trying to get rid of for a reduced price due from shipping damage.

I purchased three 8x10 2" thick foam boards from Lowes at a reduced price of 30% OFF for each board. Here is a picture of the "damage" done by shipping.
image001.jpg

If you look closely at the edge of the board, you can see what appears to be strap/rachet marks that were produced when the board was getting prep'ed to be shipped. Hell YA I'll take them. I don't care if they are somewhat damaged. They're not even close to being damaged IMO. I'm gonna be cutting them up and stuffing them in my boat, out of sight, anyways.

I negotiated with the guy who worked in the area, and said I take them for 30% off. He gladly agreed. He needed to get rid of them out of his inventory. Call around before hand and ask, to save time. I just got lucky and happened to walk into the store not even thinking about this. It was the salesmen who told me about the damaged boards, after I was telling him what they were for.

I got fence panels the same way. Bought a couple extra to pop boards off to repair others that were damaged and to save as spares. Worked out great and I saved a bundle.

Always looking to save that hard earned moneys!

What do you do with this foam? What is the purpose? Noise suppression, make the boat float better, carry more weight? Sorry for the questions but I'm new to this.

Mudcat47537 said:
What do you do with this foam? What is the purpose? Noise suppression, make the boat float better, carry more weight? Sorry for the questions but I'm new to this.
It's used for floatation if your boat takes on enough water to sink. It also help reduce noise it some extent.

Mudcat47537 said:
A lot of us have found that the existing foam in their boats is water logged and weighs as much as an additional passenger. So when they do their mods, part of that mod may be to remove the old foam and install new. I removed about 180 lbs (estimated weight after weighting a small section of what was removed) and the same amount of new closed cell dry foam weighted less than 10 lbs.