hydroturf over rivets on deck (or just flooring suggestions)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joho5

Reaction score
Looking to cover my front and back decks here pretty soon and paint the boat...basically just freshen up the boat.

Wondering if I could use the self-adhering hydroturf over the top of these rivets. If not hydroturf, then what do you suggest for the flooring? I want some sort of flooring.

any and all suggestions/comments are welcome.

Attach0.jpg

Attach0 (2).jpg

I've been wondering this myself. I think I'm gonna go with a thick coating of Tuff Coat or anti slip paint.

This is just an educated guess, but I think the voids caused by the rivets not letting the hydroturf adhere flat to the surface could lead to bubbling in those spots. Then again, I might be wrong about that.

Hydroturf (closed cell foam) should work great. I would verify the adhesive to use, but think either outdoor carpet adhesive or contact cement will work great.

I don't think you will have any issues with the rivets. I'd be more worried about the edges. What is your plan to protect the edges from lifting, getting chewed up by shoes?

I would also be concerned about getting hooks stuck all the time.

I use a closed cell foam pad for camping, and have for the past 20 something years. Great insulator, doesn't absorb water (ever), provides a nice cushion, and fairly inexpensive compared to other camp pad options. I also have a self inflating mattress and a cot. I have been known to use all three at once. When I winter camp, I use both the self-inflator and closed cell foam pad together.

I carpeted a plastic two man bass boat that had small ribs in the floor. It laid down nice and tight to the ribs and conformed to them. I wouldn't think those little rivets would hurt anything. I used an outdoor peanut butter type of glue. I went back after it set up and made sure edges were glued and put a brick to help them stay in place. It was a flip project so am not sure how it held up.

So you guys wouldnt use the self-adhering sheets of it? You would use your own glue?

thanks

It will do just fine over the rivets. However, I suggest that you do like me and don't cover the rivets just in case you need to remove the deck or replace a rivet.

2013-08-24_15-46-49_944.jpg

Latest posts