hydroturf over rivets on deck (or just flooring suggestions)

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
joho5

Post by joho5 »

Looking to cover my front and back decks here pretty soon and paint the boat...basically just freshen up the boat.

Wondering if I could use the self-adhering hydroturf over the top of these rivets. If not hydroturf, then what do you suggest for the flooring? I want some sort of flooring.

any and all suggestions/comments are welcome.
Attach0.jpg
Attach0 (2).jpg

mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

I've been wondering this myself. I think I'm gonna go with a thick coating of Tuff Coat or anti slip paint.
2013 Weldbilt 1752V
ETEC E40DSLSE

PSG-1

Post by PSG-1 »

This is just an educated guess, but I think the voids caused by the rivets not letting the hydroturf adhere flat to the surface could lead to bubbling in those spots. Then again, I might be wrong about that.
ALUMA-JET project:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=22023

Fishing, jet skiing, target shooting, jet-boating, and even a little oyster harvesting with Larry The Cable Guy.
Watch it all right here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HKPSG1Shooter?feature=mhee

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

Hydroturf (closed cell foam) should work great. I would verify the adhesive to use, but think either outdoor carpet adhesive or contact cement will work great.

I don't think you will have any issues with the rivets. I'd be more worried about the edges. What is your plan to protect the edges from lifting, getting chewed up by shoes?

I would also be concerned about getting hooks stuck all the time.

I use a closed cell foam pad for camping, and have for the past 20 something years. Great insulator, doesn't absorb water (ever), provides a nice cushion, and fairly inexpensive compared to other camp pad options. I also have a self inflating mattress and a cot. I have been known to use all three at once. When I winter camp, I use both the self-inflator and closed cell foam pad together.
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

'97 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select
'67 14' Alumacraft
'57 Model FD11 18-hp Johnson Seahorse
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

RiverLife

Post by RiverLife »

I carpeted a plastic two man bass boat that had small ribs in the floor. It laid down nice and tight to the ribs and conformed to them. I wouldn't think those little rivets would hurt anything. I used an outdoor peanut butter type of glue. I went back after it set up and made sure edges were glued and put a brick to help them stay in place. It was a flip project so am not sure how it held up.
"Fish On!"

joho5

Post by joho5 »

So you guys wouldnt use the self-adhering sheets of it? You would use your own glue?

thanks

RiverBottomOutdoors

Post by RiverBottomOutdoors »

It will do just fine over the rivets. However, I suggest that you do like me and don't cover the rivets just in case you need to remove the deck or replace a rivet.
2013-08-24_15-46-49_944.jpg
2013-08-24_15-46-49_944.jpg (60.91 KiB) Viewed 540 times